9.30.2013

Mason Jar Caramel Apple Pie {with Streusel Topping}

To me, September is synonymous to apples and October is synonymous to Pumpkins.
So, on this last day of Septemeber, I thought I would share one of my favorite & most delicious recipes that uses Apples.
 Here is what you need:
  •  Wide Mouth Half Pint Mason Jars (you can get some at your grocery store or here) 
(You will need 8 wide mouth mason jars for this recipe)
For the filling:
  •  Package of pre-made pie dough (you will use both rolls of pie dough in the package)
  •  4 - 6 apples, peeled & diced (I usually use Granny Smith or Honey Crisp or a combo)
  • 1/2 cup granulated Sugar
  • 2 T flour
  • 1 t ground cinammon
  • 1/4 t ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 t ground cloves
  • Caramel Sauce
Streusel Topping:
  • 1/2 cup Oatmeal 
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 stick of butter, melted
 Directions:
Unroll your dough (The package comes with 2, you will use both)
Tear up the dough & line the inside of your mason jar:
Now, it's time to prepare the apples!
 Peel your apples:
 Then, dice them up. Normally for apple pie, I do slices, but because these are in a mason jar, I dice them up.
 Place in a bowl:
  Add the 1/2 cup of white sugar, 2 T flour, 1 t ground cinammon, 1/4 t ground nutmeg & 1/4 t ground cloves:
 Stir to coat:
 Now you are going to add the apple filling to the mason jars.
 Each jar gets 1/2 cup of apple filing:
 YUM.
 But, now it gets yummier. Get your caramel sauce:
 You are now going to drizzle some caramel sauce on top of the apple filling.
So much yum.
 Come to mama!
Just when you thought it couldn't get yummier, it does. Now you are going to make your streusel topping.
Add your 1/2 cup Oatmeal, 1/2 cup Brown Sugar  & 1/4 cup flour to a bowl.
Melt 1/2 stick of butter & stir it all up.
Add a few spoonfuls to the top of your pies.
 Divine.
Place your 8 mason jars on a cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
 Let them cool for a bit before you serve them (so that the jars aren't too hot to handle)
 The yummy caramel melts all nice in the jar.
 When you are ready to serve these, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top & drizzle a little more caramel on top.
Is your mouth watering yet?
 Don't you want a bite?!?!?
 These are seriously SO good. And, pretty easy to make!
 These little mason jar pies are a perfect fall dessert! 
Actually, they would be really fun for 4th of July also.
It is a great dessert to make if you are having people over for dinner.
You can make them ahead of time & then when it's time to serve, just add the ice cream & caramel.
And, they are just so fun to eat out of!
I also think these would make a fun gift to give to a teacher, neighbor or friends.
Just put the lid on it & tie a bow on it (and add a spoon)
Viola! Cute little treat!
I think I need to make a cute tag for these....stay tuned :)

Let me know if you make these!
Enjoy!

And, as a reminder....tomorrow is October 1st 
(one of my favorite days of the year!!!! My favorite month!)
October 1st means our Pin-Spired linky will be up! 
Can't wait to see your Pinterest Inspired outfits!



4 comments:

  1. Love this! We just moved on Thursday how fun would it be to give these out to our new neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I am so hungry for one of these right now!
    They look delicious, and I love that they're baked in little Mason jars!!
    www.floralandfudge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having my first Favorite Things Party on October 19th. I am so thrilled about these cute deserts. I am going to send each friend home with one. Are you going to be making cute tags anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I need to make these like yesterday! You don't happen to have a print-friendly version of this recipe do you? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin