7.25.2010

Christmas in July

One of the first items that Kate wanted to add to our Summer List was to go to Tahoe and have Christmas. The last time we were in Tahoe was the day after Christmas until New Years Eve. So, Kate has associated Tahoe with Christmas (even though we also go every summer & then some.)
All summer long, she has been asking when we are going to have Christmas. Each time I explain that Christmas is in December and that is in 5 more months. But, she insists that Christmas will also occur this summer.
On Friday afternoon (after 2 hours of swimming) Kate went upstairs to change out of her bathing suit and she came downstairs with last years Christmas dress on and exclaimed that it was Christmas & that it was time to make Christmas cookies.
So, that is what we did! I needed an hour activity to do with them before Kevin got home from work, so Christmas cookies it was!
But, first Kate wanted to get Claire dressed in her Christmas dress so that they could match.
I was glad their Christmas dresses still fit! Maybe they will fit again this Christmas!
Luckily, I found our box of cookie cutters in the garage (still haven't finished unpacking....)
Also in the box was a container of un-opened holiday sprinkles. Score!
Kate was very focused on making the cookies.
Claire on the other hand, discovered the glory that is raw cookie dough & kept trying to eat it.
We made a Gingerbread man, bell, candy cane, snowman & Christmas tree
Don't forget the sprinkles!
Almost ready to go into the oven:
There's Claire sneaking in some more cookie dough...
Ready to bake (note the "K") Whenever we make sugar cookies, Kate has to make a "K" (and a "C" for Claire...upper left hand corner)
Kevin got home while our cookies were baking & was cracking up at what he saw when he got home. Kate & Claire in Christmas dresses & me in my bikini and swim suit cover up.
After our cookies were done, Kate wanted to deliver some to all of our neighbors & spread the "Christmas" cheer. All of our neighbors thought it was hysterical (or they think we are weird. ha!)
That night, Kate told me that she & Claire had to wear their Christmas pajamas to bed.
There's nothing like wearing fleece pj's in the middle of summer....
And of course, Kevin had to read her Christmas books before bedtime.
After they went to bed I wanted to wrap up some presents for them to open in the morning. Kevin put a kibosh on that & said that was taking this a little too far.
Hey, I was just following Kate's lead! :)
But, if they want Christmas in July next year, I can't promise that there won't be presents...

23 comments:

  1. What a fantastic mom you are!!!! I've never participated in Christmas in July myself, but it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet mom you are to relax and go with the flow. I'm sure this will be a day your girls remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fleece pajamas! Too cute. :) Lacey likes to wear her snow boots in the 100+ heat - it is funny to see what they come up with next @ that age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that's funny, too cute! hope they've been good! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a BLAST! You are such a cool mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stinking adorable.
    and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How adorable!!! We have those same Gymboree Christmas dresses and we got two years out of ours, so I am sure your girls will probably be able to wear them again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute!! I love the smile on her face as your husband is reading to her.

    Some recent mornings when I've awoken to 56 degree temps I wonder if it isn't December myself!! :)

    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  9. So long as they weren't expected Santa to show up the next morning - you're good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great mom! i have to do that more with the girls...just go with it! a clean house can wait...right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok.. you are the "raddest" mom ever. Seriously, that is the coolest idea ever. My girls would cry tears of joy if I even mentioned it. Then they would brag about me to their friends. I would give you all of the credit, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hysterical.
    i always get a bit of a christmas itch this time of year.
    especially this year, since last christmas i spent the whole season feeling pukey!
    we should have done christmas on thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is the funniest post ever! I love it! isn't it great what kids come up with? i'm sure kevin was rolling when he walked in the door!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is hilarious, Mel! Good for you for going along with it! I so wish I could have seen Kevin's reaction when he walked in the door... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that is too funny! i love the picture of your in your towel and suit and the girls all gussied up for xmas. what sweety pie for wanting to spread the cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun mom you are! This is the cutest. I just love it. and I just love Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with the Hunt Family, coolest MOM in the UNIVERSE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome moment with your darling girls! So fun! What a great mom! Youre kids are going to have such wonderful memories.

    I love your blog and all the beautiful photos! Im a shutter bug myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's hilarious and i love that you said kibosh! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  20. pretty much the cutest thing I've ever seen! LOVED this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin