7.19.2017

Lemon Zucchini Bread

This time of year, the zucchini and squash in our garden go crazy.
I can't keep up with them, so I am always looking for new ways to incorporate zucchini and squash in to food. I especially like sneaking it in to foods my kids like so that I can get more veggies in them.
Some of their favorites are my Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins, Zucchini Bread, Blueberry Zucchini Bread & Zucchini Banana Bread.
I have a yummy recipe for a Lemon bread, but I decided to tweak it and sneak in some zucchini and squash! It turned out amazing, so I knew I had to share it!
Here is what you need:

1¼ cup granulated sugar
6 t vegetable oil
2 eggs, room temperature
⅓ cup milk
2 T lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
2 cups flour
1¼ t baking powder
1 t cornstarch
½ t salt
1½ cup shredded zucchini or squash, drained and squeezed dry
(I used 3/4 cups of zucchini and 3/4 cups of squash)
Zest from 1 lemon 


Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 T lemon juice
1 T of lemon zest (save some from the lemon that you zest for the bread)

Directions:
Grate your zucchini and/or squash on the small grates of your grater.
The reason I use the small grates for this recipe is so that the zucchini & squash is disguised ;)
This recipe needs 1 1/2 cups total, so I used 3/4 cups of zucchini & 3/4 cups of squash.
All measured out:
After I grate and measure the zucchini & squash, I put them on a towel and then press all the liquid out.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and oil. Whisk to combine.
Add eggs and milk and whisk together.
Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Luke loves helping me stir :)

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl and whisk together. 
Pour into bowl with other ingredients and stir together. 
Then add the lemon zest & stir together.
Pour batter into a loaf pan (I like lining it with parchment paper so that it is easy for me to take out & glaze) I spray a loaf pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper and then pour the batter in.
Bake at 350 for 55 to 65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. 
Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes. 
Use the parchment paper to carefully life the cake from the pan. 
Let cool completely on rack.
Once the loaf is completely cooled, you can make the glaze.
(2 of my kids like the bread without the glaze, so it's totally optional to make it!)

Whisk the 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest.

Drizzle on the icing using the whisk.

This bread is so delicious...you can't taste the zucchini/squash, it is more of a lemon bread.
You can barely see the zucchini when you slice it. The squash blends in :)
If one of your kids asks about the green flecks, you could always tell them it's lime ;)

This loaf of bread didn't last long in our house.
It was devoured in under 24 hours of making it.

I hope your family likes this bread as much as we do!
Let me know if you make it & let me know what you think!
Enjoy!

If you want more zucchini/squash recipes, besides breads....here are some more you might like:

I also love making zoodles!! I have THIS veggie spiralizer & it's awesome.
I love this Chicken & Shrimp Pad Thai with zoodles 
I love being able to cook & bake with things I grew in my garden! :)

+++++++++++++++++
Just a friendly reminder that the $250 Nordstrom Gift Card Giveaway ends on Friday!
Click HERE to enter if you haven't entered yet!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing; I'm going to have to make this with the family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. Thanks for sharing.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin