8.24.2016

Zucchini Banana Bread

During the summer months, we have an excess of zucchini from our garden.
This Zucchini Bread & my Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins are staples in our house during these months.
Last week, our bananas were turning brown and I knew I wanted to use a few of them to make my Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, but I had 3 more ripe bananas to use and some extra zucchini, so I decided to make some Zucchini Banana Bread.
This recipe, like my Zucchini Bread is a recipe from my Grammy.

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you have read about my Grammy.
She will be 105 years old this October.....She is amazing!
Growing up, when we went to Grammy's house, she would always bake something for our arrival. Usually it was her Eggless, Milkless & Butterless Bread.
A couple years ago at the age of 103, Grammy stopped living in her house & moved into an assisted living home. It was then that I took home all her old cookbooks & recipe cards.
These included recipes as far back from 1920's & 1930's
(Grammy dated most of her recipe cards, so I knew exactly when they were from)

It is so fun to look through these recipes....I need to blog more of them!This Zucchini Banana Bread was one of her recipes. 
Here is what you need:
 
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
3or 4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
 Optional:  1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Grate your zucchini (I use a cheese grater)
Mix the eggs, oil & sugars. Add in the mashed bananas & grated zucchini:
Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt & cinnamon.
'Pour into two 9x5 loaf pans. (I spray with cooking spray before I pour the batter in)
Bake at 350 for 50 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean)
Delicious, beautiful bread!
Within 24 hours of making this, 1 loaf was completely devoured.
#welovebread
Every Sunday or Monday I usually make some sort of bread/muffin so that when my kids get home from school, they have a snack that is ready to go!
This is a "healthy-ish" snack option....it has fruits & veggies in it!
You could also make these into muffins, just reduce cooking time to 20-25 minutes.
If you love bread/muffins like we do, here are some of our favorites:
Zucchini Bread  
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins 
Zucchini Blueberry Bread
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins 

You can see more HERE in my Recipe Box.

Hope you love this recipe as much as we do. 
Thanks to my amazing Grammy for a great recipe.
I need to blog more of her recipes...including her famous Split Pea Soup!
What is your favorite type of muffin or bread?

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe!! My son is obsessed w/ banana bread & my daughter is obsessed w/ zucchini bread...wonder if they'll eat it combined ;) HAHA!!! I also have all of my grandma's recipes. She had a stroke 2 yrs ago & now lives w/ my mom. We have been slowly going thru her house (she lived by herself until she was 96) & I took her recipe boxes. I LOVE not only going thru the recipes, but I love that I will always have her handwriting (I know that sounds weird!!!). Thank you for all the zucchini recipes!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of you and Julie for having so many of your grandma's recipes! I have a lasagna one from my Nana that is handwritten on the back of a pasta box, and seeing my Nana's handwriting is so special to me- miss her every day!
    My favorite muffin to make is my pumpkin chocolate chip muffins starting in October! They're awful for you but so darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, this is so amazing that you have all of your grandma's old recipes!! Both of my grandmothers never wrote theirs down... if you ask them how to make something they just say, "Oh, a little of this and a little of that." Not helpful at all! Haha.

    And next time instead of making your Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins when my bananas are overripe, I'll have to try this! It's a good way to sneak some veggies in for the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinned! I love baking with zucchini :) Can't wait to try this out.

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin