8.22.2018

Skin Cancer Chronicles, Part 2

Tomorrow will be exactly 8 weeks from my Skin Cancer Surgery on my nose.
In case you missed my post about it in June, you can read about it HERE.
The short version is that at my annual skin check with my dermatologist, I had a biopsy taken off my nose & found out it was a Basal Cell Skin Cancer and then had to have MOHS surgery to remove it.
Post Surgery was emotionally traumatic for me because I didn't think the surgery would be so invasive and I ended up with a massive hole in my nose and had to wear a bandage over it for 6 weeks (plus I had a bandaid for 2 weeks before surgery because they did a biospy first)
So, for 8 weeks...my entire Summer....I had a bandaid or a bandage on my nose.
It was very humbling & I was really self conscious.

The first 2 weeks post surgery were emotionally draining because I didn't see much improvement in the healing. But then, once I hit that 2 week mark, I saw improvements every few days.

The instructions from my doctor were simple.
Each day I put on a fresh piece of one of these gauze pads (which I think are basically vaseline/gauze) and then I covered it with a bandaid.
I was VERY careful when I showered and washed my face.
I used our Rodan + Fields Soothe Sensitive Skin face wash.
I didn't dry off my nose with a towel, I just let it air dry for a few minutes and then I put on the gauze and the bandaid. (For the rest of my face I used my regular Rodan + Fields products and of course our RF Reverse SPF 50 Sunscreen.
I did not wear make up the entire Summer.
Yes, you read that correctly, not one drop of makeup.
I mean, I had freaking bandaid on my nose...why even bother with make up? LOL!
I wore a hat pretty much everyday as well.
I also drank SO much water each day.
 I am usually THE WORST with water.
In the past, I have gone days...yes days(!!!) without drinking water.
But, I know that water is good for you & good for your skin and healing, so I MADE myself drink tons of water this summer and it really helped!!!

At 4 weeks post surgery the wound was starting to close up. Up until then it was a gaping hole on my nose but at 4 weeks, it began to slowly close. I was feeling hopeful.

At 6 weeks post-surgery I had my final appointment with my surgeon so he could see my progress.
At this appointment he told me that it was healing beautifully and that I would NOT need a skin graft.
PRAISE THE LORD!!!! I was so thankful to hear that. I didn't want a skin graft because he told me the skin graft would be another 3-4 surgeries.

At that appointment he also told me that starting the weekend before school started I could stop wearing my bandaid and that I could put concelear on the scar for the first day of school (and each day after that!!!) I was SO relieved!
He told me about special concealer to go buy at Nordstrom. Nordstrom doesn't sell it anymore, so they sent me to Sephora.
Did you know that I am 39 years old and this was the first time in my life I have ever been to Sephora? Never been there, never ordered anything from them. Until now! I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud of that.
This is the concealer that I got & I just put a small dab on my nose each day.

Other things I have been doing the past 2 weeks since my 6 week check up.
I have gone back to my regular skin care routine of R+F Reverse in the mornings an Redefine (and Active Hydration Serum) at night.
In addition, every morning I put a dab of this on my nose & then the concealer.
At night, I put a dab of this on my nose...Hopefully this will continue to help with the scarring.
I waited until 6 weeks post surgery (once the wound was closed) to start using it.
My surgeon said the scar will continue to heal for the next several months and that if I feel like he needs to laser it in the Spring, then give him a call.
I told my surgeon (in the nicest way) that I hope I never have to see him again in my life.
My dermatologist is not the one who did the surgery, they have a special surgeon & department for that.

So, here I am from earlier this week...a few days shy of 8 weeks post surgery.
You can still see the scar on my nose.
(I'm not wearing foundation in this photo, but I do have concealer just on this scar)
 I am SO happy with how it is healing. It is still a little indented/flat where the skin cancer was but my doctor assured me that will continue to heal as well & not be so indented as the scar tissue continues to build up.
If you ignore the scar on my nose, the rest of my face has never felt or looked healthier.
I didn't miss a day of washing my face & using my R+F regimens for 8 weeks.
I didn't wear make up for 8 weeks and I drank at least 64 oz of water a day.
 The body is amazing how it heals, you just have to treat it right. 

If you told me on the afternoon of June 28th (which was when I got home from my surgery) that I would have healed like this, I wouldn't have believed you.
So, if any of you out there ever have to have MOHS surgery to get Basal Cell Skin Cancer removed, I hope this gives you hope. If I happen to have another basal cell skin cancer on my face and have to have surgery again, I am going to look back at this post to reassure myself. 8 weeks of post surgery weren't fun and it was a bummer that I couldn't go swimming or in Lake Tahoe this summer, but in the end, it will be okay. And, you will be okay also.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and messages the past 2 months, I really appreciated them & they lifted my spirits.

In case you need another reminder....TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN, GET YOUR SKIN CHECKED & WEAR SUNSCREEN.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this and putting out there the importance of having your dermatologist give a full body scan.
    I have been doing this for a few years. My whole family is fair skin.
    My father had gong thru all sorts of skin cancer surgeries in particular the MOHS and others that were even more invasive. He had been diagnosed with skin cancer over 30 yrs ago. I lost him in Oct of last year.
    It is important to be vigilant and tend to this and other health issue.
    Thank you again and I do hope that you continue to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad your are now cancer free! I have had malignant melanoma removed from my lip and it is not fun. Keep wearing your sunscreen and have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just know that you are going to be such an encouragement to so many who read this today. You are such a hero of mine, Mel, for so many reasons!! Love you, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that your nose is healed up and that there is no more cancer! That is great that you won't need a skin graft. Your skin looks awesome and I don't even see anything on your nose in that picture, just your beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding us to go get checked. It is so important. I went for my annual skin check last week and have to go back tomorrow for a follow up on one spot to have some more removed from a spot that was concerning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you, Mel! I know you are so relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. read many article, but this is really worth. thanks for sharing.
    post surgical scars dubai

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542 Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin