8.18.2010

A Date with Kate

After we had Claire, several of our friends (who had older kids) told us about the importance of making sure you do 1 on 1 time with each of your kids & have intentional time so that they have a special day just focused on them.
Well, Claire is almost 2 and we have yet to do this with either girl (parenting fail)
(Now, we do have occasional 1 on 1 time with each of them, we just haven't done a special "date" day.)
On Monday, I dropped Claire off at my mom's so Kate and I could have our date.
(this was yet another item on the summer list)
I told Kate that it was just her & I for some special time and she got to tell me what she wanted to do!
But, first I had to go to the post office to mail a package.
It turned out to be Kate's lucky day at the post office, because the lady behind the counter gave Kate a Post Office coloring book! Kate was thrilled, she LOVES to color!
After the post office, Kate was in charge of our next destination.
What did she pick?
She wanted to go get a pink bagel (and chocolate milk, of course!)
She specifically wanted to sit in the booth and wanted me to sit next to her, not across from her :)
After our pink bagels, Kate wanted to go to Target to pick out a backpack for preschool
(she starts in 3 weeks. Tears!)
I am not even sure she needs a backpack for preschool, but Kate INSISTED that she get a backpack. Not just any backpack....Kate wanted a princess backpack.
If you know me, I am not a big fan of characters on things (like clothing, bedding, shoes, etc)
But, Kate really, really, really wanted a Princess backpack that was purple.
And, what do you know...Target had one. Lucky for Kate.
Granted, the backpack is WAY too big & I don't even think she needs one for school, but you know what? It made Kate SO happy. She was smiling ear to ear. It was a great way to spend $10 (even though I cringed silently to myself when she picked it out)
I wanted to get her THIS ONE from Pottery Barn Kids. Oh well.
*sidenote: Kate realized after we got home that her backpack didn't have Cinderella on it (which is her favorite princess). She was bummed for a few minutes but then informed me that it was okay & that she would get a Cinderella lunchbox to go inside her backpack.) The best part about this that my mom already got her a Cinderella lunchbox a few weeks ago & was planning on giving it to Kate as a Back to School present! phew.

After Target, Kate told me she wanted to go to the library.
The first thing she wanted to do at the library was play on the kid computer & make a picture (they have a Paint program, it was pretty fun)
That lasted less than 5 minutes & then we went to go read some books.
Kate is very serious about her books.
I let her choose 3 books to check out (because she is 3)
But, then she asked if we could check out another one for Claire (because she is 1)
So sweet of her to think of her sister!

After the library, it was time to go get Claire.
Kate and I had a great date.
I asked Kate what her favorite thing of the entire day was and she told me it was the library.
So glad she is a book lover like her mommy!
It was so fun for me to just focus on her & have cute conversations with her.
I wish we had done something like this before!
I am going to do this regularly with each of them. And, so is Kevin.
Claire's turn is next!
And, one of the biggest benefits of our date is that for the rest of the afternoon after we got home, she was in such a good mood, extra helpful with Claire and was so eager to share her toys with Claire.
Was this a coincidence? I think not.
Kids just need some 1 on 1 time every now & then.
It is good for the kids (and the parents!)

15 comments:

  1. super cute pictures and love that you did this. we are trying to do it more and more with the girls, but it is hard to find the time and not hurt the other one...in our case, when they are the same age it seems to be harder to say this one is going and you are not.

    what a great little day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love date days and agree that they are very important. I love that her favorite part was the library. I think it's funny because I too am not of fan of characters on this and wanted to get the SAME backpack for my Jamison but hers from last year is still in good condition. Very sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that picture of her walking with her books. and i love that the library was one of the places she picked to go. a girl after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun, she does look SO happy! 10 bucks well spent =) I love that you let her pick where to go. I can't wait to do this with my son. as soon as he can tell me where he wants to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun date! I'm sure Kate felt so special! I love the backpack story! I'm just enjoying the time I have left to control what Addi wears, backpacks, shoes, etc. I know one day the characters will invade, but for now I'm getting everything PBK I can!! You're a great Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how precious is that?! Noah and I have times alone, but I need to remember to take him out for special dates. I loved reading about your time with Kate. :) And I LOVE those pottery barn backpacks. Im not a big fan of the characters too (haha) but whatever makes them happy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful idea! My sister and I were just 15 months apart, and I really wish our parents had done this! Since we were so close in age we just got lumped together for everything. I'm sure your girls will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree! I think that everyone benefits from 1 on 1 time. I've noticed that there are things that I might not notice or listen to w/ my other boys around. How sweet of her to think of Claire :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my 1 on 1 dates with my boys!

    BTW, I had monogrammed PBkids backpacks for my boys until they finally said, NO! I guess a fifth grader isn't cool with his name on his bp right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I totally agree about the character stuff...I would prefer PB Kids back pack too...and guess what? Allikaye has the SAME backpack!! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Disney princess backpack? Anna would go nuts! Especially since she got her 4 mini-princesses with changeable outfits (Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Belle, and Ariel) for giving up her bink. She LOVES Sleeping Beauty. She told me tonight that is what she wants to be for Halloween! We've pretty good about our kiddie dates-BAD about husband wife dates! Now, to figure out how to do 3 kids and still attempt to go on husband wife dates-yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just did this with my little buddy for the first time last week! He's 3 and we left his little sister with a sitter and went swimming, had pizza and fed a cute dog named Morgan. He LOVED it! I too wondered why I've waited so long to do this...and everything seemed so easy-breezy with only one toddler in tow! Definitely a GREAT idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! I try to take Leila on a date once a month or so, even if it's just grabbing a "girl coffee" together. L would be jealous of that backpack!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Nice Information, Photo, Good lesson, If you See pre schools near your place.If you are looking for best and suitable preschools for your child in USA than visit PreschoolsNearMe Here you can get to know about the top preschools located in various cities. Furthermore, highly reviewed preschools and daycare are listed over here. Visit preschoolsnearme.com now to find best preschool for your child now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin