9.17.2014

Santa Fe Zuchhini + Squash Boats

Here in California, it still feels like summer.
We are in the middle of a heat wave....it has been in the 90's for over a week and this warm weather will continue through this weekend.
As much as I am ready for Fall (so over the hot weather!!) the hot weather we get in September helps my garden continue to grow. We still have tons of tomatoes, zucchini and squash!
So, even though I am counting down the days until Fall is officially here, I am enjoying the extended crop that my garden is producing.
This has been my best year for zucchini and squash ever, so I have loved trying out new recipes that use zucchini & squash.
In July, I posted Italian Zucchini & Squash Boats {HERE}
I decided to take a new approach to them and give them a Mexican flare.
I think I like them better than my original recipe!
Here is what you need:
- 1 lb of Ground Turkey (I use Jennie-O Lean)
- Packet of Taco Seasoning
- Can of Black Beans, drained
- Can of Corn, drained
- 2 cups of Salsa
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese 
- Zucchini & Squash

Directions:
Brown your Ground Turkey
After your have cooked the meat, add the taco seasoning (and water) according to the taco seasoning directions.
Drain your corn & black beans:
Add the corn, black beans & 2 cups of salsa to the mixture:
Let simmer for 15-20 minutes
While your sauce is simmering, it's time to cut up your zucchini & squash.
  Slice them the long way, like so:
 Then scoop out the insides:
 Lay them on a cookie sheet (I also use parchment paper or my Silpat) and scoop the mixture into each zuchhini or squash:
I use a cookie sheet that has edges so they don't roll off!
Sprinkle your cheese on top:
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted.
These were SO full of flavor!!! This is now going to be a go-to meal for us.
They are super healthy & packed with flavor. Delicious!
Enjoy!
Hormel Foods Extended Family Blogger

Disclosure: This post was written as part of my participation in the Hormel Foods Extended Family Blogger Program. While Hormel Foods provides me material and necessary resources to complete various activities, the thoughts and statements in this post are my own.

3 comments:

  1. These look super yummy! Do you have a veggie spiralizer? I love making zucchini noodles with ours! The kids totally love them too because it is fun when I let them help me turn it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I have been trying to figure out ways to cook my zucchini and I'm trying this! Yum!!

    atparsons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY want to try these, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin