11.20.2017

Dutch Apple Pie

This Fall, I was on a mission to perfect my Apple Crisp recipe and that mission was accomplished!
I decided that I need to perfect my Apple Pie recipe.
Kevin & Kate's favorite dessert is Apple Pie.
A few weeks ago Kate told me (the night before it was due) that she and her best friend signed up to make a homemade Apple Pie to Girl Scouts since they were working on their Cooking Badge. 
Kate loves my Apple Crisp, but wanted to make a pie since that's what they signed up for.
We decided to make an Apple Pie using the filling from my Apple Crisp & do a crumble topping without oatmeal (Kate prefers no oatmeal in the topping)
The pie that Kate, her friend & I made that afternoon turned out so amazing, I knew I had to blog it.
I have made it every week since...we love it!
Here is what you need:

Filling:
-  1 pre made pie crust
(I like the frozen ones that are in a pie tin. Much easier than the refrigerated ones that you have to roll out) #lazy
5-6 large Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp flour
1Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
Topping: 1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened & cut into cubes

Directions:
Peel, core & slice your apples. I FINALLY got one of these!!!! What took me so long?!?!
They are under $20  and it's small & easy to store!

It makes coring & peeling a breeze. In fact, I don't even have to do it because my kids love doing it. They fight over who gets to use it. This pie recipe calls for 5 apples, so they each peel one apple and then argue about who doesn't get to peel a 2nd one. LOL.
Get one HERE!
I also love that all the apples are the same thickness because of the slicer!

After you peel & slice your apples, put them in a gallon ziplock bag.
In a small bowl, mix together  combine the melted butter,  2 T flour,  lemon juice, vanilla extract,  brown sugar, ground cinnamon & salt and stir together.

Stir it together.
Pour into the ziplock with the apples, seal it and shake so that the apples are all covered.
I put the frozen pie crust (still in the tin) into my pie dish. I do this because with the Dutch Apple Topping, it can spill and get messy, so this way it doesn't spill in my oven or all over my kitchen, it just stays in the pie dish.
Pour the apples into the pie crust & dish:
Now it's time to make the topping. In a bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, white sugar & softened butter.
***NOTE:  I heat my stick of butter in the microwave for 10 seconds so that it's soft. Don't heat longer than 10 seconds, you don't want melted butter!!!! 
I then cube up the butter and use a fork to combine all the ingredients. Use a pastry cutter if you have that.
You need to make sure your crumle topping is mixed together well & looks like the photo below. I probably spend 3-4 minutes mixing it with the fork. You don't want any big clumps of butter.
Then sprinkle the topping all over the top of the pie:
The apples are stacked up high, but they will shrink down as it bakes.
Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes.
Such a beautiful pie! 

Let it cool for at least 15-20 minutes before you serve it.
 It tastes best when served a la mode with a scoop of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. If you are feeling really naughty, you can always add some whipped cream as well!
 I hope you love this pie as much as we do! It would be a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table, you can make it a day or 2 before if you need to.
If you need Thanksgiving side dish (or dessert ideas), here are some of our favorites:
 Creamy Corn Bake
Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries & Bacon
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Apple Crisp

See you back here on Wednesday for What's Up Wednesday!
The bonus question for November is "What are your best Elf on the Shelf Ideas"
Usually it's the last Wednesday of the month, but because of the holidays, we bumped it up a week and also will do that for December...that date will be December 20th.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I love dutch apple pie! Not a fan of crust, so love the crumble top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542 Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin