9.23.2016

Healthy Chicken Salad with Mandarin Oranges & Cashews

I don't know about you, but I am always looking for quick & healthy ideas for my lunches!
Most of the time I make an egg scramble or a turkey sandwich.
Every once in a while I will make a batch of Chicken Salad for the week so that Kevin and I both have lunches for the week.
This is my favorite Chicken Salad recipe...and it's HEALTHY!!!!
 Spoiler alert....I don't use mayo...I use greek yogurt!
Here is what you need:
- 2 or 3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (I use my Life Changing Quick & Easy Shredded Chicken Method for this)
- 2 or 3 ribs of celery, diced 
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup of cashews, chopped 
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained (I save about 1/4 cup of the juice in case I need to add more liquid to the chicken salad. It also gives it a more citrus-y flavor)
 - Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups of Plain Greek Yogurt (you can use 0% or 2% fat)
You can't even tell that greek yogurt is used in place of mayo.
Just like Jimmy Fallon, I feel this way about mayo:
Mayo is so Ewwww!
 
Directions:
 Cook & shred your chicken using  Life Changing Quick & Easy Shredded Chicken Method
This is seriously the best way to cook & shred chicken!!!
After you put your shredded chicken in a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients....plain greek yogurt, diced celery, chopped onions, chopped cashews, mandarian oranges & pepper:
Stir it all together.....
Then I cover & keep in the fridge until I am ready to serve it. I usually make a batch of this on a Sunday night & use it for lunches for the week.

Kevin loves this Chicken Salad on croissants with tomatoes from our garden:
Yum!
I like this Chicken Salad as a salad with lettuce & tomatoes.
 You can add a drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette to the salad to give it some tangy-ness.
Now you can enjoy Chicken Salad without the guilt!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

I have also made this for baby showers/wedding showers. It is the PERFECT make ahead dish for a shower. You can double it if necessary if you are making it for a party.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I love chicken salad! I am always in search of new lunch ideas, I will be making this for lunch next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh never thought to put Greek yogurt in chicken salad. Love the cashews and oranges too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this recipe, and put it on top of toasted Ezekiel bread. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful. I don't like mayo..yuck... So this would e perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Except when it"s in Hallelujah Halibut! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks amazing! I'm so gonna try this!

    Carol
    puretsimple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin