7.07.2012

Fun on the 4th of July

Another 4th of July is in the books & it was one of the best ones yet.
It is truly one of my most favorite days of the year!
For the past 5 years, we have had the same tradition.
Our day starts at our friends house for the Pre-Parade French Toast Breakfast.
Although this year, I needed a snack before we went to their house for breakfast, so of course I had Patriotic Pop Tarts that I found at the store last week.
I love going to the Pre-Parade Breakfast, it is a great way to get in the 4th of July spirit.

Our friends have a face painter at the party who does amazing face painting.
And, a balloon guy!
Love me some Americana bunting.
Patriotic Baby Bump:
Our friends live a few blocks from the parade, so we walk from their house to watch.
Gotta love a small town parade, complete with a lawnmower brigade,
Gotta love old men doing a choreographed number with their lawn mowers.
Small town parades are the best,
The parade is cheesy, but it's tradition to go!
This old fire engine is a part of the parade every year. When I was a kid, my soccer team rode on it after we won the State Championships.
After the parade, we headed back to our house to get ready for our 4th of July Party.
For the past 20 plus years, my parents Linkhave hosted a 4th of July party called "The 4th of July Sausage Fest" and my dad, Jimmy (aka the Sausage King) cooks up an awesome meal with tons of sausage.
Last year, it was 100 degrees on the 4th, so we had the 4th of July Sausage Fest at our house so people could swim. After last year, my parents passed me the torch to host the annual 4th of July Party (and, how could I resist, you know I love throwing parties!)
My mom wasn't sure I wanted to host this year because I am pregnant, but, I insisted.
Almost 35 weeks pregnant & a party of almost 50 people? Bring it on :)
Here are some snapshots of the 2012 4th of July Pool Party & Sausage Fest:
I loved those hanging pin wheels!
You know I have to have a dessert table. It's a Larson Party staple!
I heart pom poms.
Close up of the Dessert Table:
Red vines & Sparklers (pretzel rods dipped in white chocolate & sprinkles)
I made these strawberries last year & again this year. Too cute & easy not to make!
Red Velvet cupcakes with some cupcake toppers I made:
Patriotic Flags lining our pool fence:
You can never have enough Red, White & Blue:
Lots of swimming.
Hanging out in the shade:
Let's talk about food...because that's what 4th of July is all about, right?
Appetizers:

The Main Course:
There is no shortage of meat..we had 3 types of Tri Tip:
And, it's not called the Sausage Fest for nothing...5 types of sausage!


For the kids, I also had hot dogs:
We also had a ton of salads!
Spinach Strawberry Salad Recipe Here.

Broccoli Salad Recipe Here.
And, of course, per tradition, we had my dad Jimmy's Homemade Ice cream!
This year, the 3 flavors (left to right) were:
Butterfinger, Cookies & Cream and Banana Coconut.
This was the first year he has made Banana Coconut and WOW. It was good. He made toasted coconut to go on top & I also made my homemade caramel sauce to go on top of that. SO good.
Ice Cream Sandwiches with Sprinkles?
So easy. Just dip your ice cream sandwiches in sprinkles! My girls love these!
Our court was also having a little block party/bon fire that night, so when it got dark, we gathered in the court to do fireworks. (Normally, there is a fireworks show, but it got cancelled this year. Boo.)
It was fun having a mini firework display right in our court.
It was another great 4th of July with family & friends.
I love our country, I love our Freedom & I love the tradition of 4th of July celebrations!

Linking up here:


***Speaking of Parties, my friend Becky, asked me to guest post on her blog this week in honor of her birthday. You will love Becky. I encourage you to follow along!
Her & her husband just planted a church and Becky's blog is full of delicious gluten free recipes!
I posted my Party Planning Tips on her blog. I am also doing a giveaway from my Etsy shop in honor of her birthday! 25 invites/envelopes, 25 cupcake toppers & 25 favor tags.
Click HERE to enter! ***

26 comments:

  1. Just made me hungry ;) Getting excited for you, can't wait to meet Baby Larson #3! I was just going thru old Christmas cards and found yours from just before Kate! And, planted a church? Maybe I have preggo brain, but I'm confused?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your parties and the great dessert table you have.
    The potatoe salad looks great. Would you be interested in passing along the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love the pre-parade breakfast idea. I'll have to remember that for next year. :) Oh my gosh, that ice cream looks unbelievable. Love that patriotic baby bump!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am coming to your house next year! Looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You are the hostess with the mostest! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic 4th of July party! I also love that patriotic baby bump! Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have the most amazing parties!!! Looks like so much fun! I want to live in your town because they know how to do a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love all of your decor and the food looks delish!!! and all done pregnant no less! impressive!

    we do something kinda similar, a hotdog bar!

    happy fourth! so impressed that you guys had everything all cleaned up before you went to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome 4th! Your dad is the sausage king.

    PS- I am so jealous of your shorts and how cute you look in them. I outgrew mine a few weeks ago and am too cheap to buy a pair to wear for 2 months of my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome 4th! Your dad is the sausage king.

    PS- I am so jealous of your shorts and how cute you look in them. I outgrew mine a few weeks ago and am too cheap to buy a pair to wear for 2 months of my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a perfect 4th! You are super woman to have a party t 35 weeks pregnant. :) The only way I would do that is if it was a child's birthday LOL! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mel. i think i not only need to visit, but it should be july 4th. deal?
    everything looks amazing, the face painting, oh man! also, butterfinger ice cream is my love language. xo

    yay! america!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun!! And mushroom Parmesan sausage?! Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks AMAZING and delicious!! How long does it take you to prepare for a party like this? I would love to host a party like this decorations and all, but at 35 weeks pregnant with 2 little ones you out did yourself! Any tips would be greatly apprecited! :-) Keep feeling great and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't decide which I love more....your baby bump or that amazing face painting! The girls must have been so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  16. mushroom parmesan??!!! dying.

    glad you had a nice 4th, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, can I live in your court? HOW FUN!! Everything looks so beautiful.
    Carolyn http://sillyhappysweet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow. everything looks so so fun! my mouth is watering from all the yummy food and the decorations are to die for. maybe next year you can come here and decorate our house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have been so excited about this post.
    look at you go!!!
    you had every kind of delicious food from sea to shining sea!

    i LOOOOOOVE that american flag pitcher. where is that from? NEED.

    your patriotic bump is WAY too cute.

    and i kept seeing pop tarts at the store thinking they were patriotic, but they were spiderman.
    BUT now i know patriotic ones DO exist! must find them next year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. cutest patriotic baby bump ever!
    your party is pretty amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to come to your house next year. Way to go for still hosting while pregnant...you're a champ! All of the food looks delicious and I adore all of the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun day!! I LOVE your food tags, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. God bless America! This party is off-it's-rocker!! I love all the little details, girl!! And you look amazing for 35 weeks. Cammie was born at 37.5 .... Could be you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This party blows all other 4th of july parties out of the water. WOW!
    the details and decor are perfect!

    And I really think you could be the cutest pregnant girl ever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. looks like a GREAT time! and the food looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A huge party at 35 weeks? Girl you are a brave one!

    Also, Kate & Claire?? Totally 2 of my favorite names ever!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin