7.27.2012

Summer Salad Swap: Shrimp Orzo Salad

Welcome to the 2012 Summer Salad Swap!
I am sharing one of my favorite salad recipes that we make all the time!Link
We even served it at my sister's Baby Shower last weekend!
It is easy, healthy & delicious!
Here is what you need for:
Shrimp Orzo Salad
  • 1 box Orzo
  • 1 lb shrimp
  • 3-4 stalks celery
  • 3-4 green onions
  • Champagne Dressing ( I always use Girards Light Champange)
Directions:
Cook Orzo according to package directions.
While orzo is cooking, slice your green onions:
And, dice your celery:
For the shrimp, I buy a 1 lb. bag of frozen shrimp, with the tail off.
**Make sure you buy the bag with the tail off!***
You can also buy fresh from the seafood counter, but the frozen bag is less expensive.
You can thaw the frozen bag in your fridge overnight or you can thaw the shrimp while your orzo is cooking in a bowl of cold water.
Once your orzo is done cooking, drain it.
Add the orzo to a salad bowl & then add the celery, green onions & shrimp:
Toss the salad with about 1/2 the bottle of salad dressing.
Cover the salad & refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours.
Once you are ready to serve, add a little bit more salad dressing.
Viola! Super easy salad that is healthy & delicious!
It is a refreshing salad & the light version of the dressing doesn't skimp on flavor at all!
This is the perfect salad to have on hot summer nights because it doesn't require using the oven.
I usually serve this as the main part of dinner & sometimes I will make a fruit salad to go along with it. It is really filling.
If you don't like shrimp, you could use diced chicken or avocado (or both!)

If you have a great Summer Salad Recipe, Grab a Button and add your recipe to the linky below.
You can add your recipe anytime from now until next Friday!
And, be sure and check out the other recipes that are linked up!






8 comments:

  1. This looks delish and so light and refreezing for summer! Easy, too! Thanks for sharing and hosting! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel,

    I don't have a blog but here's my favourite thai salad - you can make the quantities up as you go along depending on what you have!

    1 cucumber, diced
    4 carrots, peeled and halved and cut into matchsticks
    2 big handfuls of beansprouts
    Unsalted peanuts (my husband doesn't like these so I usually leave them out but they give a nice crunch!)
    1 red chilli, sliced into strips
    Fresh coriander chopped up to taste

    Dressing:

    2 parts oil (i use sunflower as it is lighter than olive oil for this dressing)
    2 parts fresh lime juice
    1 part thai fish sauce
    some more chopped coriander

    Chop all of the veggies into a bowl and then mix up the dressing (i use a jam jar) and that's it! I don't usually need all of the dressing.

    This is delicious with grilled shrimp or thai marinaded chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! :-) I'm going to post more salads later but just wanted you to know that I'm going to mention your salad swap on my blog today or tomorrow! :-) Hope you are feeling well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love shrimp, so this sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful...another Larson recipe to add to my recipe book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're actually a just right webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It kind of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic activity in this topic!

    Also visit my weblog :: enlargement advantages

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying this with quinoa tonight (since I forgot to buy orzo - doh!) - fingers crossed it's still good! Been meaning to make this since you posted it last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: Quinoa was good! Orzo is probably yummier but this was nice and healthy, in contrast to the indulgent caprese bread salad I served alongside it. :) Thanks, Mel!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin