5.25.2015

Cuarenta de Kevin :: Kevin's Surprise 40th Fiesta

Last week Kevin turned the Big 4-0.
On Sunday I threw him a Surprise 40th Birthday Party.
Kevin thought we were having a Memorial Day Block Party with our neighbors, but instead it was actually a little surprise 40th birthday for him. 
On Sunday evening, we were setting up for the block party & all our neighbors were out on the court, and then right at 6pm, I had a Taco Truck drive down the court & we all said "Surprise" to Kevin.
We told him it wasn't just a block party, it was Kevin's 40th Fiesta.
(He wasn't totally surprised...he had a feeling something was going on)
But the fun part was Kevin didn't realize that I invited our families & a couple of his close friends, so after the Taco Truck pulled up, the rest of the guests came walking down our court.
THAT surprised him, so that was really fun :)
 I designed a shirt for him to wear...the front was a Taco Truck & it said "Cuarenta de Kevin" which means Kevin's 40th.

The back had his nick name & a 40:

 I love how it turned out :)

The Taco Truck was amazing. 3 years ago for Teacher Appreciataion Week, our PTA had this Taco Truck come to our school for lunch one day & it was so good! I asked them for their business card because I knew I wanted to throw Kevin a 40th Fiesta. So glad I kept that business card!
It was 2 hours of all you can eat Tacos! And, they set up this table in front of the Taco Truck with fruit salad, chips, guac, salsa, rice, beans and Agua Fresca (we had lemonade flavor & starwberry...I had tequila & vodka for people to mix in if they wanted!
I also had beer!

People had the choice of 4 types of meat for their tacos: Steak, Chicken, Carnitas (shredded pork) & Al Pastor (seasoned pork....so good!) I had 1 of each!
It was so fun, we would walk up to the window of the Taco Truck & they took our order & they would cook it right there for us.
Me & the Birthday Boy!
Because this party was completely outside & in our court, I didn't have very many decorations.
Just a few colorful touches:

 I also had this sign made from Oriental Trading:

 Kevin loves cornhole, so we had a cornhole tournament going on during the party.
I made 2 of Kevin's favorite cupcakes....my chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes (recipe HERE
 And, Salted Caramel Heath Bar Cupcakes:
 Luckily, I am the one who always makes desserts/cupcakes for our court block parties, so Kevin wasn't suspicious when I was making cupcakes earlier in the day...I just added the cupcake toppers during the party :)

Bringing out the cupcakes:
Blowing out all 40 candles:

 We had cupcakes & continued hanging out & playing cornhole.
We have had a chilly May, so once the sun went down it was cold, thankful for our neighbors who brought out their heat lamps!
And, I can't forget about the favors.
Hot Tamales are one of Kevin's favorite candies (and they just so happen to go with my Fiesta theme!)
I made a tag that I added to the box of candy:
It was such a fun night celebrating Kevin.
I totally didn't get photos of everyone there #fail
I was having too much fun eating tacos & playing cornhole!
I am glad it is over....keeping a secret was hard & stressful!
This might be the last Surprise Party I throw...it was stressful keeping that secret & being sneaky!
 I also need to give props to my neighbors who helped me pull this off and who let me keep chairs, cases of beer & party supplies in their garages.
I also loved having a Taco Truck at the party...it was SO easy....I didn't have to do any food prep (besides the cupakes!), the food was amazing & everything was outside so my house stayed clean.
Win-Win!
They also gave me all the left over food, we will be having Mexican food all week for dinner ;)

+++++++++++++++
And, don't forget to link up this Wednesday: 

Here are the questions:
Plus, the question of the month is:
What is your favorite thing to grill/BBQ?

18 comments:

  1. What a fun party!! I want to live on your street and be in your family...is that okay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! I LOVE THIS! And a taco truck is SO FREAKING FUN!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best party ever!!! i need to throw a party that involves a food truck asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And, yes, throw a food truck party...so easy & fun!

      Delete
  4. SO fun!!!! I love Taco Trucks! Happy 40th to Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to move to your street! Love that you got a Taco Truck & love the Hot Tamales party favor idea!
    -Jen in Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cupcakes look SO good. What a fun theme idea for a party!

    http://www.jenna-grace.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cupcakes look SO good. What a fun theme idea for a party!

    http://www.jenna-grace.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I KNEW I recognized that taco truck and couldn't figure out why! I remember taking the card, too and you saying you were totally going to get the truck for Kevin's birthday. I didn't realize until now it is the same truck...that food was SOOOO good! Glad I didn't say anything taco truck related on FB! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic idea for a guy-birthday party!!
    The cupcakes look amazing, and I love the hot tamales as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great minds think alike...we both had Fiesta birthday parties last weekend! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can we get a taco truck when I come visit? And have a cornhole tourney!? Ok thanks! Seriously so much fun- what a fantastic idea. I love his shirt too!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin