5.11.2015

10 on 10 :: May 2015

Today's 10 on 10 is my Mother's Day Edition! 

10 pictures on the 10th day of the month!
{Document a snapshot of your life & find beauty among the ordinary things in your day!}
ten on ten button
 
Usually on Mother's Day, we spend it with both of our moms, but this year Kevin's mom was out at our brother in laws winery for an event and my parents were in Pebble Beach for a wedding, so Kevin asked me what I wanted to do for the day. 
I have been wanting to go to San Francisco as a family and do a "tourist day"
We live so close to SF, Kevin and I go there for Giants games, for shows or other events, but we haven't done a tourist day with our kids and do all the touristy things.

Spoiler Alert: I have more than 10 photos on today's 10 on 10 post :)

My beautiful peonies....I love May because that means Peony season!
I loved my handmade cards & letters from the girls. So thoughtful.
 We went to church on Saturday night so we could leave for the city around 9 and grab donuts & coffee on the way there. Yeah, we didn't leave until 10 and when we got to the donut shop, it was CLOSED because they were sold out of donuts. FAIL. 
We tried to get coffee at a few Starbucks & Peets, but they all had lines out the door. Looks like everyone wanted to go to coffee with their moms for Mothers Day!

We finally got our coffee :)
And, since we couldn't get donuts, we got blueberry muffins. My kids are obsessed with muffins.
Our first stop on our San Fransisco Tourist Day was the Golden Gate Bridge. I wanted to see if from the Sausalito side first. Sausalito is a cute little town on the other side of the bridge. SF on one side, Sausalito on the other.
 We drove up the 101 to get good views of the bridge & of the Bay.  It was a really foggy & windy day in the city. California has a bunch of micro climates, so even though it was sunny at home, you drive 30 miles to the ocean/bay and it can be 30 degrees colder & foggy.
 The views were incredible....Bridge to the left & on the right this:
We drove down lower to another viewing point & got this incredible view....The Golden Gate is just a STUNNING bridge.
It was SO windy. This is the best we could do for a photo of me & all 3 kids.
Then we drove across the bridge into San Francisco and the next thing I wanted to do was go see The Full House House.  Bummed I didn't see John Stamos at the house...I was 2 months too late (You've seen THIS article, right?)

(The house has been repainted since the show last aired 20 years ago in 1995, it is much darker now!)
 Full House was my FAVORITE show growing up. One of the reasons it was my favorite show is because it was based in San Francisco and because it was a family of 3 girls, just like me & my sisters. I can't WAIT for the Fuller House show that is coming out on Netflix next year! 

This lead me to our next stop...the famous "Painted Ladies" in SF. Which is a row of Victorian Houses (these are the houses that are on the opening credits of Full House) I was bummed it was so foggy, because usually you can see a great view of the city behind the houses.
 After the Painted Ladies, we drove over to the world Famous Lomard street!
After Lomard Street when headed to Pier 39 & Fisherman's Wharf for lunch...our favorite....clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl.
 Pier 39 is a total tourist trap & so crowded, but it is always fun to check out. And, the fog had lifted, so it was nice to see blue skies!
 And, it stinks...like Seafood & Sea Lions. But, if you are in SF, you need to go check it out.
Next up was the world famous Ghirardelli Square!
The girls checked out chocolate being made and we shared a massive Brownie Ice Cream Hot Fudge Sundae.
As we walked back to the car the girls saw one (of the many) souvenir shops. Claire has been asking for a Warrior shirt, so since we were being "tourists" we had to get a shirt ;) 
We also let Kate pick out a new shirt (gotta be fair). She picked out an SF Giants shirt. I love that we have passed on our love of sports to our kids. Out of any t-shirt in the entire store, they both chose sports shirts :)

We headed home and decided to pick up Zachary's pizza on the way home.
Zachary's is my FAVORITE. It's deep dish pizza and amazing.
It was an awesome Mother's Day. The kids did great all day & they said it was one of the best days ever. 
So, there is my 10 on 10 for May 2015...Mother's Day San Francisco Tourist Day Edition!
 (which was more like 20 on 10...I had so many photos, I couldn't narrow it down to just 10) 
It was so fun being a "tourist" in the city.  Kevin & I are both born & raised here in the Bay Area and growing up, Kevin went to SF every weekend since his parents both grew up in the city & both sets of his grandparents lived there until they passed away. I know I take for granted living so close to this amazing city. We got a lot of things done on my "tourist" list. But, there is still SO much more that SF has to offer! If you've never been to SF, I highly recommend visiting. There is no city like it!

I hope you all had a great Mother's Day!

41 comments:

  1. That does seem like the BEST DAY EVER!! Chocolate, Full House and Clam Chowder-- sounds like perfection to me :-)

    HAppy Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went there on our honeymoon and my favorite part was Alcatraz. I love history stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Alcatraz...waiting until the kids are older to take them :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! I love San Fran and would love to go back! Loved seeing all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness....San Fran is on my list and I am so saving this for a future itinerary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need to come to SF!! I can help you add things to your list!

      Delete
  5. That looks like such a wonderful day! I could totally relate to the donut fail- sounds like something we would do :) Family days like that are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to California at all, but you definitely have made me want to visit SF if I ever do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We recently got over our "hatred" of tourist spots and took our kids to the Ferry Building and Pier 39. I'm so glad we did because it was so so much fun. There's something cool around every corner of San Francisco. Thanks for sharing your fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was weird doing all the touristy things, but the kids loved it...so glad we did it!

      Delete
  8. Happy Mother's Day! Zachary's is our absolute favorite pizza, as well. But Ascona is pretty darn good, too. :) What a wonderful day in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Full house was my absolute favorite show, I had a major crush on Uncle Jesse :) Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Karen! LOVE Full House! Hope you had a great Mothers Day also!

      Delete
  10. Ahh, there are certain days that I miss living in the City! The kids have not been on a tourist trip, and honestly I'd love to do this with them. It's been years since I've done anything like that! We are taking them to the Exploratorium Memorial Day weekend. They haven't really seen the Golden Gate Bridge either, isn't that nuts? They have, however, been to the Castro since my uncle lives there. FUN day for you and the family! Where's Kevin? ;) I had NOT seen that John Stamos pic, SO funny! Every kid has to go down Lombard, too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun being tourists. Have fun at the Exploritorium!

      Delete
  11. Argh!!! I missed 10 on 10 again! I'll have to put it on my calendar for June!

    Happy Mothers Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set a reminder on your phone :) Hope you had a great Mothers Day also!

      Delete
  12. I've only been to San Francisco twice - once when I was 8 and again when I was 13. Your pics and day make me want to plan another trip there. Like, right now. What a beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to San Francisco or the West coast for that matter. I would love to see it one day!
    I would go to the Full House house, too!
    Glad you had a good Mother's Day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've never been to the West Coast? West Coast is the best coast :) You need to come see it!

      Delete
  14. I've never been to California but the one reason I do want to go is to visit San Francisco! I loved everything about this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to California but the one reason I do want to go is to visit San Francisco! I loved everything about this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After seeing your pictures of the houses, the full house theme song is stuck in my head. Pretty much sang it in my head through out the rest of your post. Haha! Looks like you all had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have been to San Francisco a few times (we're from TX). It's one of my VERY favorite trips!!! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore your peonies--so, so pretty! And I also love your San Francisco pics. I've been twice and loved it both times!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love love love everything about this post! The handmade pics and cards are the best- my hubby had the kids fill out the mom questionnaires- so cute. You guys had such a fun filled day- I have always wanted to visit California but now want to more than ever!! Your babies are the cutest and Claire is my girl with wanting a Warriors shirt!!! ;) happy happy Mother's Day you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day! When you come visit, I can be your tour guide :)

      Delete
  20. My husband grew up in the bay area and we lived there for two years while I was working on my Master's. Seeing all of your pictures from the Bay makes me miss living there! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are making me hungry with the Zachary's pizza. I was near Zachary's this weekend but couldn't stop to get any sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so fun! We went to San Francisco almost three years ago and loved it! I'm glad you mentioned that the Full House house was darker because that was my first thought, lol! The curvy street was so crazy and I'm glad we walked it instead of trying to drive it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin