1.14.2014

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

I can't believe I haven't shared this recipe yet.
This was one of the first recipes I started making when Kevin and I got married.
It was from an old church cookbook (but of course, I have tweaked it to our liking)
This is a go-to recipe in our house. I make it at least once a month during the school year because it's easy, delicious, healthy and you can make it ahead of time!
Don't let the word "casserole" scare you!
The garnishes make this recipe even better & less "casserol-ey"
This is one of the healthier casseroles out there!

Here is what you need:

 4-6 chicken breasts, cooked & cubed
1 package (12) corn tortillas
1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk (I use non-fat)
1 jar of Salsa (12 -16 oz)
 I use La Victoria Thick & Chunky Medium. It has the best flavor and it's not runny!
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

Directions:
Cook & cube chicken (I boil it & then cube it after it has cooled)
Or, you can use my Quick & Easy Shredded Chicken Method {HERE}
In a large bowl, mix the cans of soup, cup of milk & chopped up chicken.

 Mix Well.

Add 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese (leave 1/2 cup out to put on the top) Stir.

Add in the jar of salsa.
Mix Well.
Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
Put down a layer of tortillas (I tear mine in half to make the best use of them...flat part along the edges)
On top of the layer of tortillas, spread 1/2 the mixture & spread it evenly over the top.
Add another layer of tortillas.
Add the rest of the mixture & sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
Cover with foil & keep in fridge overnight (This allows the tortillas to soak up all the mixture) 
The next day, when you are ready to cook it,  take off the foil Bake at 300 degrees (uncovered) for 1 hour.
   ***I have made this recipe in the same evening and then cooked it and it still turns out, but it tastes even better if you make it the night before or the morning of!****


 Serves 6-8

 Garnish with whatever you like...
Shredded lettuce
Tomatoes
Fresh Salsa/Pico de Gallo
Sour Cream
Olives
Green Onions
Avacados or Guacamole

What I love about this meal is that you can make it ahead of time.
Perfect for busy weeknights when you have a lot going on. 
And, it is SO good. YUM.
With the fresh garnishes it really makes a lovely dish!
It is a family favorite of ours.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! Yum! Yum! This looks like a Texas kind of meal :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. This looks awesome. I will be pinning it for future referrance for sure. Just wishing I had had the recipe when I just planned a bunch of freezer meals. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this already and cannot wait to make it this week!! Yum! Also love the new blog design :) I plan on heading to your recipe tab frequently!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will try this week. I love the new layout - especially the recipe box!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had this this week. I had leftover roasted turkey and it was great. I only had enough corn tortillas to do one layer and had to use whole wheat for the second...definitely recommend the corn! It was delicious though

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so delicious and so easy. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin