10.15.2012

Remembering.

Today, October 15th is National Day of Remembrance for Pregnancy and Infant loss. This includes all babies who have died because of miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, or any other infant death.
I have shared my story of loss before and I will continue to share it every October 15th because it is a reminder to me (and hopefully others) about God's love & faithfulness.

It reminds me that
God has a plan for my life (and yours!) and that HIS plan is better than my plan - Always.

I had 2 miscarriages before I had Kate.
Ectopic Pregnancy at 6 weeks on October 22, 2002 (due date June 23, 2003) Miscarriage at 10 weeks D&C on October 25, 2005 (due date May 26, 2006) I still think about them & wonder.
Were they a boy or a girl?
(I have a gut feeling/instinct they were both boys)
I could have a 9.5 year old and a 6.5 year old.


But then I wouldn't have my Kate, Claire or Luke.
 
God has a plan. His timing is perfect. Trust in Him.
This is what would remind myself during my saddest days.
In the process of having miscarriages & sharing about them, I have met many, many women who have lost their sons and daughters. I have friends, family & co workers who have had miscarriages. I have several friends who have lost their babies at full term, days & months after having them. I can't imagine the pain they have suffered.

The Lord has broken my heart for families who have to endured these types of losses. I don't fully know the pain these families have gone through, but I have felt a small fraction of it.
This is one of the reasons I felt called me to become a volunteer photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep 2 years ago. I cannot take away the pain of someone's loss, but I can give them something to remember their child by. You can read about my journey to become a volunteer with them HERE. For those of you who are new to my blog, here is my story of loss:
(I post this every October 15th)
Kevin and I got married on August 24, 2002. We wanted to wait 3-4 years to have kids. I was on the pill and took it religiously at the same time every day. Imagine my surprise when I found out I was pregnant 2 months after we got married. We had always wanted kids, just not so soon after getting married. I went to the doctor & they gave me a due date of June 23, 2003. I was FREAKING out & couldn't believe I was pregnant. This pregnancy was our "honeymoon baby". Apparently I got pregnant on our honeymoon. Unfortunately, a few days after I found out I was pregnant in October of 2002, I woke up to an intense pain on my left side & when I went to the bathroom I was massively bleeding & then I passed out. Kevin rushed in and woke me up & we rushed to my doctor & after some tests, he informed me that I was having an ectopic pregnancy & that I had to go immediately to the hospital for emergency surgery because the condition was life threatening for me. So, that Tuesday night in late October, I was rushed to the hospital for surgery. Luckily, I have one of the best doctors in the area & he was able to save my left fallopian tube (it was already starting to rupture). I am glad that I was unaware of how serious ectopic pregnancies can be. I didn't realize I could have died if my tube ruptured. Even though my doctor saved my fallopian tube (and my life!), I always wondered how this would effect my ability to get pregnant & have kids. One of my biggest dreams was to be a mommy & for the next few years I wondered if that would ever happen. 
  Fast forward to the summer of 2005.  
This is when we decided to start "trying". We got lucky & I got pregnant the 2nd month after we started trying. I was due May 26, 2006. Kevin and I were thrilled. I couldn't wait to have a baby & be a mommy. I was relieved that the ectopic pregnancy didn't effect my ability to get pregnant. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I went in for blood work to make sure my numbers were doubling. My dr called and told me my progesterone was low & I needed to be on progesterone suppositories 2 times a day. Let me tell, you , those are NOT fun. Nasty. 
My pregnancy was progressing, at 6 weeks the nausea hit big time & I was throwing up 2-3 times a day. I was miserable, but it was worth it. We had our first ultrasound at almost 6 weeks to make sure the baby was in my uterus and not my tube. The baby was in my uterus & I scheduled another appt at 8 weeks for the heartbeat check. The 8 week ultra sound was no so great. There was a heart beat, but it was very low & took my doctor a long time to find it. He said I needed to come back in a week for another heartbeat check. At that appointment, there was still a slow heartbeat, but the baby was not growing on track & was only measuring 7 weeks. My doctor warned us not to be too optimistic, but I still had really bad morning sickness and was getting sick a few times a day. I thought that was a good sign. I had to go in again at 10 weeks for another heartbeat & growth check. At the 10 week appointment, the heart had stopped beating. 
We had lost the baby & my doctor scheduled me in for a D&C that night. 
It was a Tuesday night in late October, just like 3 years before.  
As I walked into the hospital for surgery, I felt like I was on Groundhog Day. Another surgery to remove another baby from my body that didn't make it. After my D&C, I was going through the motions of life. We were told to wait 3 cycles before we could try again so that my body could heal. Those were 3 very long, hard & dark months for me. I was numb. My 2nd miscarriage hit me so much harder than my first one. I was mad at God for taking this baby from us. It took me about 6 months to process it.
 During that time, I had a lot of support from family & friends and for that, I am thankful.  
I am thankful to my awesome & supportive husband who would hold me as I cried many nights mourning our loss wondering if I would ever have a baby. I would cry myself to sleep whenever a friend told me they were pregnant. I was truly happy for them, but SO sad for me. It was just another reminder of what I didn't have. I am thankful to our pastor who helped me process some of my feelings & emotions during the months after our loss. 
  I am thankful to my mom who encouraged me during this time & gave me hope (she had 4 losses in between me & my younger sister including an ectopic & a placenta separation at 21 weeks).  
I am thankful for my best friend AK. She had 2 miscarriages around the same time I did. I was able to call her & cry with someone who was going through the same thing I was. She understood my pain. 
  I am thankful to my dear friend Lorie who had suffered 2 losses. She shared her prayer journal with me & held me up in prayer when I was too sad to pray for myself. After we good the go ahead to start trying again, it took us 3 months and we got pregnant in May of 2006. We found out on Kevin's 31st birthday, (a week before my "due date" with my 2nd miscarriage) We were excited, but I was really nervous about having another miscarriage. I was a stress case & paranoid my entire pregnancy. On January 23, 2007 , I gave birth to our beautiful Katelyn Grace.
It was a moment I will never forget & an emotion I can't put into words.
One of my favorite pictures EVER (30 seconds after Kate was born)

I was reminded again at the miracle of life when Claire was born 4 years ago and when Luke was born in August.


God has a plan. His timing is perfect. Trust in Him.

My kids are a reminder of that truth.

I never thought I would say this, but part of me is grateful I have been through miscarriages because it has given me compassion & a heart for those who have also suffered losses. My miscarriages caused me to cling to God & put my faith, hope & trust in HIM instead of myself.It drew me closer to Christ as I clung to Psalm 20:4: "May He give you the desires of your heart and make your plans succeed."God was faithful to me even though many times, I have been unfaithful to Him. I am thankful to God who carried me through a dark time & showed me that He was there for me & He did have a plan for me & that HIS timing is better than my timing.Because of this, when I hear of others who have suffered a loss, I mourn with them. I pray for them, I listen, I cry with them. My heart breaks with them.I can't make them feel better or make their pain go away, but I can make it less lonely.I have learned a compassion that only comes by walking in those shoes.I was reminded again & again that God has a purpose & a plan even when I don't understand.  
If you are/have struggled through Infertility/Loss/Adoption then you might be interested in this event called Choose Joy that will be on February 9th in Southern California. My friend Julie is one of the speakers, so I know it will be an amazing & encouraging time.
{Click the button to find out more}

 What I have learned through my journey is that I was NOT alone during a time where I felt so alone and when it seemed like EVERYONE around me was pregnant, except me. God was there, carrying me through this tough time.
 
I discovered that intercessory prayer is powerful. To have people praying for you when you don't have the words to pray yourself is humbling.
If you have lost a baby through miscarriage or infant death, I want to pray for you on this day of remembrance.
So, if you are one of those women, will you please leave a comment on this post and tell me your name so that I can be praying for you?
If you are someone struggling with infertility, I want to pray for you.

If you are waiting to adopt, you will also be lifted up in prayer.
If you want, you can include the nature of your loss, and the child's names so that we can pray for you. If you want to leave an anonymous comment, you can do that also.
If you haven't lost a child, will you join me in praying for those who have?

16 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. I truly needed to read this. We've had a long road to get to our 2nd baby, but I know a baby is coming. I'm really starting to believe "in his timing" too, like, I've never believed before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story again, I think this was what originally brought me to your blog. We have miscarried two babies (April and October 2011). I am pregnant again (12 wks tomorrow!) and go in Thursday for my first real appointment. I feel like it just hit me tonight what we could find out Thursday, and fear of going through a loss again, so I would love prayers of peace for us and protection for this little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you today.
    rest, knowing our little ones are in the arms of Jesus.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please pray for my cousin Stacie, who lost her baby to SIDS. Kyle was 2 months old. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your prayers and your heart Mel! We lost a baby @ 8 weeks pregnant almost 12 years ago. He or she was our 2nd child. I grieved pretty hard that first year until I begged God for some closure on the one year anniversary and He blessed me with an answer (too long to write here). I still think about the baby, especially around my friends kids who are the same age he or she would be now. It took two years to get pregnant again and I was a wreck w/that pregnancy. But, God is good and we were blessed with another healthy baby. I will be praying for you and all others as well. My heart goes out to all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your prayers and your heart Mel! We lost a baby @ 8 weeks pregnant almost 12 years ago. He or she was our 2nd child. I grieved pretty hard that first year until I begged God for some closure on the one year anniversary and He blessed me with an answer (too long to write here). I still think about the baby, especially around my friends kids who are the same age he or she would be now. It took two years to get pregnant again and I was a wreck w/that pregnancy. But, God is good and we were blessed with another healthy baby. I will be praying for you and all others as well. My heart goes out to all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts.
    I’m new on your blog and I didn’t know you had 2 miscarriages.
    I’m French and we don’t have in France a National Day of Remembrance for Pregnancy and Infant loss. It’s a shame because, as you said, women don’t talk enough about it. I know it’s hard but I think it would help. It would have helped me.
    I lost twins when I was 10 weeks pregnant and I don’t know exactly why (due date October 2011). I cried a lot and I cried when I read your story. It took me more than a year to start feeling better. I was even “ashamed” of my sadness. Hopefully, my husband helped me a lot and I’m thankful to him. I hope I helped him too because I know that he also suffered of that loss.
    Thank you again, I’ll pray also for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started reading your blog a few months ago and have enjoyed "getting to know" you and your family. Thank you so much for posting about your experience and offering prayers. I had a miscarriage (that is still hard to say) four weeks ago. I already have two beautiful boys and thank God that they are here so I can give them a hug when I am feeling sad. I wanted to post about this on my blog, but I just wasn't ready to do it for this year. I can't tell you how much of yesterday was spent in prayer, but I was too heartbroken to tell anyone the significance of the day. Hopefully next year I will be stronger. Thank you again for your offer of prayer and posting such beautiful support and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this, Mel. I had three miscarriages, after having a healthy baby boy. Each was early and one was even with those nasty progesterone pills + baby aspirin. I went through all the blood tests and endometrial lining biopsies, etc--with no resolution and no answers. When I got pregnant the next time, I declined the progesterone and just took the baby aspirin. It was hard to be joyful--I remember showing the HPT to my husband and saying something like "here we go again" and then going back to bed. We didn't speak of it much, but were praying mightily and waiting on the Lord. I kept the HPT and would look at it every now and then to reassure myself that I actually was pregnant. I would stare at the line and try to figure out if it was lighter or darker then the ones that ended in miscarriage. Lots of prayers later...our daughter is due in about 54 days. God answered our prayers! I highly recommend that song "While I'm Waiting" by John Waller--it was in the Fireproof movie. (You can hear it on youtube.) Wait on the Lord--His plan is best, even if it's so painful at the moment. --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for posting. I had a miscarriage with my 1st pregnancy & it took me a while to accept it, but just like you said God does everything according to His plan. I had to have a D&C on February 21,2011 & exactly 1 year to the day, my daughter was born. She was born with a birthmark on her eye, an "angel kiss ",we like to think that her brother /sister gave her that before she came down from heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this blog post! I muchly needed your words of encouragement and reminder that God is sovereign and in control and His timing is perfect! I have 2 boys and just suffered a miscarriage 2.5 months ago. The pain and alone feeling combined with fear of it happening again is so hard and something I fight thru prayer and Gods word daily! -Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your post, I had 2 miscarriages one in April,2012 ( at 10 weeks with DNC)and one in Sept 2012( at 13weeks also DNC). It's been really hard on me and the only thing that keeps me going is my 4 year old. Thank you for your prays you are a beautiful person.

    MP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for posting. I am relatively new to your blog so I was unfamiliar with your story of loss. I had never heard of NILMDTS before. What a beautiful organization to be a part of. I definitely held my five week old even tighter as I watched that video. Sending prayers to all those who have experienced the loss of a child!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greeting from indonesia!
    I found your blog trough google search for recipe for crockpot recipe and I can't stop reading your blog!
    Yes, you're right.. God's timing is the best.. I was m/c before my 1st born son, but now I have 2 sons, 5y.o and 7months old, God is good all the time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin