10.27.2011

100.

Today, Grammy (my Grandma) turns 100.
100 years old!!!!!
Triple Freaking Digits!!!!
That is amazing.
Even more amazing is that she still lives by herself!!
At 100 years old! By herself! In her own home!
Amazing, amazing, amazing.
Grammy, FTW.
(Grammy at age 3 - circa 1914)

Grammy was born October 27, 1911 in the Blue Hills of Idaho.
She was the 3rd child of 7 children.
(She and her youngest sister, Jean are the only ones still alive. Jean is the baby of the family & is in her late 80's)
Her family moved briefly to Oregon and then settled in Eureka, California.
She married and then became a bank teller for Wells Fargo.
She survived the Roaring 20's, The Great Depression & The World War Era.
She is a Daughter of the American Revolution.
We have had 44 US Presidents. Grammy has gotten to experience 18 of them! That is 40% of our total US Presidents.
When she was born, there were only 46 states in the USA.

In 1952, she had a surprise baby at age 41...my mom!
She has 2 daughters, 6 grandchildren, 7 great-grandchildren.
(with an 8th on the way, my cousin's wife is due in May)

(Grammy on her 99th Birthday)

Grammy is a remarkable person.
She is the matriarch of our family and has been through so much in her life but always has a positive outlook on everything.
She is an inspiration to all who meet her.
To know her is to love her.
I remember at her 90th birthday party -10 years ago- my cousins and I were all telling Grammy that we just knew she would make it to 100 year old. We chanted Triple Digits!!!
She said if she did make it that long, then she wanted Willard Scott on the Today show to mention her on her 100th birthday.
I emailed them in September about Grammy, but I never heard back.
Sorry, Grammy. I tried. I really wish you could have been mentioned on the Today show!
But, we are going to throw you an awesome 100th Birthday Party this weekend.
I can't wait to celebrate Grammy this weekend with all of our family...aunts, uncles, cousins.
All of Grammy's favorite people together in one place to celebrate her. Can't wait.

Everyone always asks Grammy her advice for living so long & for being in such good health (physically and mentally....her memory is still sharp!!)
Here is her list of advice:
1. Surround yourself with your family and people you love.
2. Drink Coffee every morning.
3. Have a Happy Hour cocktail everyday (Grammy's preference is a Cranberry Vodka)
4. Stay away from hospitals & doctors.
5. Be positive.

Congrats on making it to Triple Digits, Grammy!
(I hope to make it to 100 one day also...Grammy is my inspiration)

Happy, Happy, Happy 100th Birthday Grammy!
I am SO proud to be your Grand-daughter!

30 comments:

  1. Happy B-day from Italy, 100!!!!! OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!!!!!! A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM ENGLAND!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. FANTASTIC!!! Happy Birthday to your Grammy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow!! Cherish her!! She's beautiful! :o)

    HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. words to live by! Happy Birthday Grammy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I went to my hubby's step-grandfather's 100th b-day party and few years back and will NEVER forget what a wonderful celebration it was. Enjoy your precious grandma and the time you have with her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your grandmother! Inspiring and amazing! I hope I live to be 100 also!

    PS. Jon's sister's IVF did not work so I would like to amend my request for prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Grammy!!! #4 on her list is priceless. Bummer about the Today show...I wonder if you could tweet them???

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's impressive! She sure has lived a full life. Happy Birthday to your sweet Grammy (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! what a wonderful milestone!

    happy birthday to your grammy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the advice. I'm going to pass that on to my kids (well maybe not the happy hour part...just yet).

    Happy Birthday Grammy!

    Hugs,
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy 100th birthday, grammy!!
    she is adorable, mel. loved this post!
    and her advice is after my own heart, including the cranberry vodka;)

    love you, happy thursday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always, my favorite post of the year! The world is well when it's Grammy's birthday! LOVE her and I've never met her! Have a great time this weekend! Miss my grandparents, so give Grammy a big hug for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love her.
    Drink vodka and stay positive??
    I can do that!

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post. I love celebrating that generation- like you said they've experienced so many major events in our history! Happy Birthday to her and now I've got good reason to enjoy a morning cup of coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, happy bday to your Grammy!
    Love her tips for a long life.
    My great gma is 97 and she says a scotch or a corona a day is her secret! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made me smile :) Happy Birthday to your Grammy! What a precious lady. Have a blast celebrating! I love all of Grammy's advice. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is so awesome! :) i love the fun facts of what your grandma has lived through. pretty incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! I love the advice. If life is happy (as hers seems to be), reaching 100 is awesome and such an honor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! absolutely amazing! you have good genes, you lucky girl. happy (day-late) birthday to grammy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAMMY!!! Congrats and wishing you many more..

    Sending birthday wishes from Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love granny and i love her advice.

    freaking hilarious.

    happy birthday to her! for the 100th time! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. she looks better than me!!!!

    I love how you know so much about her life.
    You must make her so proud.

    happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet post, wow 100! Talk about a celebration, how cool is that!? Love it, #2 i think you said, "drink coffee every morning" yep!

    ReplyDelete
  26. happy birthday grammy!

    she is so cute.

    i love her life rules... awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your grandmother is
    absolutely adorable.
    How blessed you are to still
    have her!

    And her list is awesome.
    :)

    -keri

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your grandmother is
    absolutely adorable.
    How blessed you are to still
    have her!

    And her list is awesome.
    :)

    -keri

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin