10.06.2010

Homemade Mac & Cheese

A few years ago, one of my friends gave me a recipe for Homemade Mac & Cheese and it has become a staple in our house. Over the years, I have tweaked the recipe a little bit, so here is my version!
 This is what you need:
1lb box of pasta (I usually use macaroni, shells or cavatappi (curly pasta, shown)
1 container of Alfredo found in the refrigerated section (I use the light version)
1 can diced tomatoes (I use the Basil & Oregeno can)
2-3 cups of cheddar cheese (depending on how cheese-y you want it)
1 cup bread crumbs (I use Italian seasoned bread crumbs)
1 T olive oil
****************
Boil your noodles according to package directions, but for 1 minute less than it says.
Drain your noodles, but reserve 1 cup of the boiling hot water.
In your pot, combine cooked noodles, alfredo sauce & tomatoes (don't drain the tomatoes). Stir.
Side Note: If you don't like diced tomatoes, you can omit them!

Then add the 1 cup of hot water & cheese (I usually reserve a little cheese to sprinkle on top). Stir.
Spray your cooking dish with Pam & then pour all the ingredients into your dish.
(I always use my Corning Ware dish, but a 9x13 pan would work just fine)
Sprinkle some of your extra cheese on top.
Take your 1 cup of bread crumbs & olive oil & mix together in a separate bowl.
Take your bread crumb mixture & sprinkle over the top.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes (until cheese is bubbly)
You can bake it covered or un-covered, it just depends on if you want your crumb topping a little crispy or not!
Yum. Yum. Yum.
This meal is a perfect Fall/Winter meal & would go great with a nice green Casaer salad and/or some french bread. And, I pair it with a glass of red wine!

This is a Larson Family favorite, it is SO easy to make and both my girls will actually eat it!
Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. Ummmmm, HELLO!!!! As if mac and cheese could ever get better! Love this twist on it. Love it. You had me at tomatoes.
    Want, wanty, want. Now.
    Mac Crack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm definitely going to try that soon! how yummy!!! thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I'm always looking for meatless meals that are still hearty...can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, pretty sure that is going to be on the menu tonight! Served with red wine. :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, yum! I'll definitely be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh that looks great!! i will have to try it out sometime. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think i will try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this one Mel! I am putting it on my grocery list for the week. I think it looks better than PDub's version!!

    And now I need to go pour myself a glass of red wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mac Crack-- haha! Julie is hilarious. And I am sooo making this... too bad I want to be eating it right this very second...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness this looks AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So yummy! This is an awesome recipe- I've used it a few times, now. I've also changed it up a little- I added 2 diced jalepenos to add some spice- so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was wonderful. I overcooked it because of running around so it was a little dry but the kids loved it and I couldn't stop eating it! Couldn't find lite Alfredo though so was unhappy about the extra fat, but it was a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buitoni changed to a larger size of the alfredo container - like we need more fat, lol. Do you remember how many ounces the original container was?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin