10.28.2010

99

Yesterday, my Grandma (known to everyone as Grammy) turned 99 years old.
Ninety-Nine.
Wow.
I have written about my Grammy before HERE and HERE.
She is the matriarch of our family.
She is one of the strongest women I know, despite her frail build
(that is getting smaller and more fragile every time we see her)

We celebrated Grammy over the weekend.
There is nothing Grammy loves more than her family.
She has 2 daughters (including my mom), 6 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren, with another one on the way this February (my cousin Ryan's wife is expecting a boy!)

In my Grammy's front yard, she has 7 little turtles representing her great grandchildren.
6 girls & 1 boy.
One of my favorite things about going to her house is checking out all her vintage items in her house.

She has these Swedish Dala Horses that are over 100 years old.
My mom has some also & used to put them out during Christmas.
I love these tin drinking cups from the 50's.
And, the matching tin bowls to go with them. So retro. Love them.
I have so many memories eating cereal & ice cream out of these as a little girl.
And, these drinking glasses are also from the 60's....there are only 2 left!
This hen cookie jar is over 100 years old & stays perched on Grammy's kitchen table.
Grammy has a blue plate collection that line her dining room and kitchen.
Here is a picture of Grammy in the year 1913, when she was 2 years old.
1913....that is crazy!
Grammy loves fine china. She has tons of it displayed around her house.
Remember The Yellow Chair Grammy gave me over the summer?
Well, she had another one from the same school house in Colorado.
This one is slightly bigger & oak.
She told me to take it home so I could use it in more photo shoots.
I plan on painting it turquoise!

Back to the 99th birthday celebration.....
We had a lovely dinner at my Aunt's with all my cousins (except my cousin Allison & her 3 kids who live in Washington DC)
And, we had cake!
Kate loved Grammy's purple candles!
Happy 99th Birthday, Grammy!
You are an inspiration.
To live by yourself in your own house at the age of 99 is simply amazing.
And still sharp as a tack.
(Although, her body is getting very fraile...but I guess that happens after 99 years)
Want to know Grammy's advice for living so long?
1. Surround yourself with your family and people you love.
2. Drink Coffee every morning.
3. Have Happy Hour every evening (Grammy's preference is a Cranberry Vodka)
4. Stay away from hospitals & doctors. (classic!)
Thanks for the tips, Grammy!

We are all rooting for you turn 100 next year!

18 comments:

  1. Your Grammy reminds me so much of my dear grandmother, who's 96. It looks like she had a very special day. Here's hoping she makes it to the big centennial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how special! You and your mom look so much alike! And your girls look like twins! I bet you hear both of those things often;-) Happy birthday to your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Happy Birthday to your granny! I love her tips for growing old and staying healthy! My great Grandma (Nana) is 96 and she says her secrets are a beer or scotch a day. She might just have something there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your grammy!
    Love all her advice. I will get right on that happy hour thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Grammy! 99! That's fab! My Nanny is coming to spend the holidays with us and she will be turning 88...I can't believe it. I treasure the time that my kids get to spend with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her advice is awesome! I'm going to have to get better at that happy hour business. And what the heck, maybe coffee in the morning too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your sweet Grammy! What a sweet and inspirational lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is adorable!! How great that you still have your Grammy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your grandmother! Love love the multigenerational photo! She sounds so special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite post of the year! Love to hear about Grammy's birthday! She is too cute! My grandmother had similar yellow glasses-I need to hunt those down! Can't wait for year 100 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy birthday grammy!! she looks full of spunk and life. i plan on taking her advice to heart right away.
    but maybe i'll have a glass of wine for my happy hour ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man - I'm fighting tears right now. Grammy seriously is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to your grammy! However, being swedish, I just cant let this one slip through the fingers. Dala horses are Swedish, always has been and always will be. They are traditional from the area Dalarna in Sweden and every little village has their own pattern. They are mostly painted in a tiny factory in the village NÃ¥s by the lake of Siljan. The pattern is called kurbits and is very traditional. Sara from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sara- I just fixed it! Thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! happy birthday to your grammy. that is so sweet. and she looks great at 99!

    on another note...the girls look so cute...where did you get their cute dresses?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so jealous.


    Happy Birthday Grammy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin