12.19.2013

Christmastime in San Francisco

Growing up, we would always head to San Francisco for the day during December.
I don't know about you, but it doesn't feel like "Christams" if I don't go to San Fran to see all the decorations in the city.
There is just something about big cities during the Christmas season. Don't you agree?
Especially here in California, we don't get snow, so going into the city really gets me into the Christmas spirit. 
Earlier this week, my mom, sister Elyse and I headed into San Francisco for a work event that Elyse had. 
One of her vendors for her company had rented out the ENTIRE ice skating rink at the Embarcadero for family of the company. 
They gave all of us hats & scarves as we arrived. 
There was ice skating & free food and drinks.
They had pizza, Boudin clam chowder, Butternut Squash Soup & Sourdough Bread.
They had cookies and hot coco.
They had Coffee Bean Coffee (my favorite!!!)
There was an open bar with wine, beer and Bailey's in case you wanted to add a little pizazz to your coffee or hot coco ;)

You should have seen us getting on Bart.
The train came as we were buying our tickets. 
Elyse & the girls ran ahead & held the door. 
My mom & I carried Luke in his stroller up the stairs. 
There were 36 stairs we ran up carrying Luke's stroller.
It was quite the sight.
We made it. People cheered.
Hysterical.
It was Luke's first time on BART, hopefully he wasn't too traumatized.

 It was a beautiful evening in San Francisco.
 The SF Ferry Building...if you haven't been in here, you are missing out!
The  Embarcadero center at dusk.
 Gotta love California....an ice skating rink surrounded by palm trees :)

 The sky was gorgeous
Kate & Auntie El
 The Embarcadaro Buildings on one side...
 And, the Ferry Building on the other side. So pretty.
  I couldn't stop taking photos of the buildings.
I was so bummed I didn't have my real camera, I just had my iPhone camera.
 I felt like I was watching a scene from a Hallmark Christmas movie....there was Christmas music playing the entire 4 hours. It truly was magical.
Taking a Hot Coco Break.
Luke really, really, really, wanted to go on the ice.
He was obsessed with these sleds.
Watch this next sequence of photos....
He was trying to stand on the sled to look onto the ice.  One sled wasn't tall enough...
 So, he started gathering the ones that weren't stacked....
 Climbed up the stacked sleds:
 So he could look over!
 I loved seeing his little 16 month old brain working! He is a determined little guy.
 It was time to head home. Such a beautiful night. The moon was full.
 And, the Bay Bridge lights were shining brightly.
Such a great night in the city.
 Thanks to my sister for inviting us to her fun work event.

They do this event every year, but this was our first time going. 
You better believe we will be back next year!!! 
 I was quite the adventure getting there, we were exhausted from a busy weekend, and we didn't get home until 2 hours after the kids bedtime, it was a school night, but I am so glad we went. 
Christmastime in San Francisco....it is good for my soul. 
It truly put me in the Christmas spirit and my girls had a blast.
It's all about making memories, right?

10 comments:

  1. Oh man...even though Portland is "home" now, this made me a bit homesick for San Fran during the holidays! We'll have to plan a trip down there with the kids sometime :) Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree nothing is better that SF during the holiday season. My husband spends a good part of the week in the bay area for work and we love tagging along whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke is a genius!!

    I'm headed to downtown Denver tomorrow and I'm so excited for the big city Christmas charm! And I'm really excited for lunch at the Brown Palace with my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed but I think that we are going to San Fran for my bday! I have always wanted to go. I thought your pics turned out great for iPhone, mine are always fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love san francisco! it looks like you guys had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very impressed with Luke - what a smarty pants! San Fran is beautiful all lit up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks like so much fun!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trip! And such a lovely tradition to begin x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! I want to go next year - sans kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! Hope ya'll have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin