1.31.2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

One of my favorite soups to make during the fall & winter is:
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

I made up this recipe a few years ago & it has become a staple in our house during the cold months.

Here is what you need:
4-6 chicken breasts, cooked & diced
1 large (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 (14 ounce) can enchilada sauce
(I use medium, but you can use mild or hot)
1 medium onion, chopped
(Or, if you are a cheater like me, I buy the pre-diced onion. My eyes are SO sensitive to onion & my eyes water so badly. The pre-diced stuff is the best invention since sliced bread!)
1 can chopped green chilies
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn

For the garnish:
Corn Tortillas
Avocado
Shredded Cheese
Sour Cream
Green Onions

Here are the Super Easy directions:
1. Boil your chicken breasts until fully cooked. Then, dice them up!
Or you can use my Quick & Easy Shredded Chicken Method {HERE}
2. Place diced chicken, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, mined garlic & corn into your crock pot.
3. Pour in chicken broth, add cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper.
4. Stir.5. Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours or on High for 2 to 3 hours.

About 30 miutes before you are going to serve the soup, you need to get the tortillas ready!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil (or vegetable oil, whatever you have on hand!)Cut tortillas into strips (I use a pizza cutter) then spread on a baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.To serve, put tortilla strips over soup.
Then, I garnish that with sour cream, shredded cheese & sliced up avocado (you can garnish with green onions also, I just didn't have any)
It looks this pretty for about 10 seconds & then I stir it all together and eat it!
This soup is so easy & so yummy.
We go back for seconds every time I make it for dinner!

Enjoy!

30 comments:

  1. Yum! That soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YUM.. that looks so good! I will add this to our menu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your recipes! This looks so yummy and I am still hunting for a good Tortilla Soup recipe!

    Now I want that stir fry that you posted a pic of a few weeks ago! I am still thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! I've been meaning to try your taco soup recipe and now I'll have to add this to the list of things to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny! I make almost the exact same soup. It will be on my blog in a week or two!! A roommate and I made it up in college! A few different things but not many! I make mine on the stove top and do not precook the chicken. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm right there with you on the frozen onions - Best. Invention. EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy and easy! I think I'm going to head out and get all the ingredients! Such a perfect meal for a snowy day!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do a similiar one in the crock pot, except I cheat even more and put the uncooked chicken in the crockpot and let it cook all day with the soup. Then I just stick a fork in and shred it up before we eat. Never had a problem with it and it is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel I just gave you an award today over at my blog! I hope you will accept and check it out!

    Megan

    http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so yummy and easy. I'm pretty sure I have everything on hand, and I think I'll make it tonight. We are "Snowed in" here in the Dallas area, so soup would be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good!I make something similar but with beef stew. Kinda like a beef Mexican stew! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog yesterday. I am SO glad you found me so I could find you! Your blog is great and you are so talented. Just got thru ohhing and awwing over your daughter's Cinderella party. You did so good with it! Can you come do something for my son in april! He likes firetrucks! LOL! New follower for sure and headed to check out your etsy shop!

    XO
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. made something similar last night!!!!!!
    this looks AWESOME

    I want the Larson Lingo CookBook!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am so going to have to try this, thanks for sharing! I am visiting from over at Kelly's Korner..or maybe it was a comment you left on another blog and the word "wine" caught my eye :) Your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks super easy and super yummy! Thanks so much posting it. I will be adding it to our menu!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this for dinner last night, Melissa, and my family LOVED it. I think we'll be fighting for the leftovers today at lunch. Typically, the leftovers would be all mine since I'm home but it's snowing here and school is canceled and all five of us are home!
    (There's actually a ton leftover so on second thought, we might not have to fight at all!)

    Thanks for sharing. Oh, and I forgot to buy corn tortillas as the store, so I used those crispy tortilla strips that I use in that taco salad recipe you shared this summer. They were tasty! And perfect for the top of the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this today and it was ready for us when we got hom for church...it was AMAZING!!!!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This soup is amazing. The only thing I changed was to use a bit more chicken. Really great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love! Glad you linked up with Gussy, because I've been trying to convince my family that we need to have some chicken tortilla soup, soon! I would probably add rice (but, I love rice), but this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delish!! My husband is allergic to corn, but I'm pretty sure I could modify the recipe. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds DEE-licious! :) I'm pinning it ;) I am visiting from Gussy's!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delish! Found you on Pinterest and am going to make this tonight! Thanks for sharing.

    xoxo,
    Clydia
    Threemangoseeds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. How many servings does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Made this tonight and entering it into the Crock-Off competition in our office this week. I think it's a shoe-in to win. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I make this and add about 5-6 corn tortillas (from the beginning). They thicken up the soup and it tasted like the Chicken Enchilada soup from Chili's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just made this for supper - it was fantastic! If you do make it in the Crock Pot, try to let it slow simmer all day. I had to make mine pretty fast, so only was in crock for about 2 1/2 hours. It was still absolutely delicious. I think next time I will add black beans. The sour cream & cheese really makes it, along with the toasty tortillas...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm your newest follower and made this recipe from Pinterest. I've added a post about it on my blog today.

    Thanks.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this recipe by the way, I make it at least once a month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. THANK YOU for posting this!! one of my fb friends has this like once a week.. now i know how to cook it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Eѵeryone loνes it whеn folks get together
    and shагe oρiniоnѕ. Gгeat
    ωеbsite, keep it up!

    Haѵe a lοok at my webpagе :: 3dtattoos.net/gallery

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin