10.20.2008

Kick for the Cure & Pink October

So, most of you know I played collegiate soccer at the University of Colorado (Go Buffs!) About 2 months ago, I got an email from the coach that was sent to all the Colorado soccer alumni letting us know about a charity event that the CU soccer team was participating in. Every year CU soccer hosts a soccer tournament. This year's tournament was called Kick for the Cure and the tournament funds was going to support Breast Cancer & breast cancer awareness. Nike donated pink soccer jerseys that the CU soccer players were going to wear in honor of breast cancer survivors & women who had lost the battle with breast cancer. The email I got told me about the event & the opportunity to "bid" on a jersey. If you were the winning bid, the money would be donated to breast cancer research & you would be able to have a name embroidered on the sleeve of the pink jersey to honor someone who has battled or is currently battling breast cancer.

As soon as I got the email, I told Kevin about it & we knew we wanted to buy a jersey to honor our sister-in-law Cindy's mom. (Kevin's brother Jeff is married to Cindy & her mom Linda lost her battle to breast cancer in May 1999). Kevin's mom joined us in the efforts to purchase the jersey.

I wanted to purchase a jersey number that either Cindy or her sister Kathy wore for soccer. Kevin's mom searched through old SRVHS yearbooks to try and find their numbers. I managed to sly-ly ask Cindy what their soccer numbers were one night & I found out she was #4 and Kathy was #5. My niece Alexis is #9 and my nephew Kyle is #45. The auction for the jersey's ended the day before I had Claire, and I was bidding on jersey #'s 4, 5 and 9. I got out-bid on jersey #4 and jersey #5, but I won jersey #9. Yay!

***Disclaimer...I am math teacher, and a self-proclaimed numbers dork, so I was happy that at least I got #9 because 4+5 is 9....so Cindy's number plus Kathy's number is the number we got.....not to mention #9 is Alexis' number and Kyle is 45 which also equals 9 if you add the digits together. I told you I was a numbers dork!

The Colorado athletic department sent me the jersey last week & we gave the jersey to Cindy & her sister Kathy last night. They had no idea that we had done this (we actually pulled off a surprise!)
Here are pictures from last night:


My niece Alexis wearing the pink jersey (her favorite color and mine!) in honor of her Grandma Linda.

Cindy & Kathy with my nephews Kyle & Drew and niece Alexis
Did you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month?


In honor of this, the White House has gone Pink for October:

“During a ceremony at the White House, First Lady Laura Bush flipped a switch and suddenly a building that has been white ever since John and Abigail Adams took up residence there in 1800 was suddenly pink. She said:

We’re showing our support of breast cancer awareness and research in a historic way. In recognition of the mothers, daughters, sisters and wives who struggle with this disease, we’re lighting the White House in pink, which is the color of the cause. May our lights tonight shine as beacons around the world, a signal of the United States’ commitment to saving lives for breast cancer.”

Kudos to Laura Bush and all the other women around the world who are working hard to raise awareness of this horrible disease.

Also, check out these re-useable shopping bags I picked up at Safeway last week. Normally, Safeway's re-useable shopping bags are $.99 But, they have these special edition Breast Cancer ones that are $1.99 ($1 from each bag goes to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.) Aren't they cute? I picked up 5 of them! You can now go Green and Pink when you shop!

Front & Back Views:

5 comments:

  1. I was totally at the football game when the girls wore their pink jerseys on the field at halftime! That's such an awesome thing. I didn't know they did it every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

      Delete
  2. I was totally at the football game when the girls wore their pink jerseys on the field at halftime! That's such an awesome thing. I didn't know they did it every year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Thank You Very much Doctor Otonokpo for making my ex boyfriend come back to me. I am Cordelia Sandra from Brazil and i am putting this testimony here too because i want to share my testimony of how i was helped by Doctor Otonokpo within 48 hours of contacting him. Yes, it was last week my ex boyfriend returned to me after i contacted Doctor Otonokpo. My boyfriend was always going back to meet his ex girlfriend because he never really left her. Her name was Sophie. I didn't know how it happened one day after breakfast that i saw him looking at his ex girlfriend's picture on Facebook and I flared at him that he doesn't care about him and he was with me and still thinking about his ex although we have been dating for 6 months. He stormed at me and left the house and never returned. I was heartbroken and wanted him to come back. I was in a nightclub with friend one evening that I saw him with Sophie there, I was humiliated that night and I regretted going there only to see him there. I went online after some days and found Doctor Otonokpo and read about him and I contacted him to help me get him back. I must say that within 48 hours, my boyfriend came back to me and pleaded for leaving me. Is this how spell works so fast? Please, if you want help, contact Doctor Otonokpo too to help you at otonokpotemple@gmail.com
    Call/WhatsApp +2348114129781

    ReplyDelete
  4. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    Https://www.facebook.com/104891335203341/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin