4.05.2013

Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta

Last August, I was 9 months pregnant with Luke and my doctor was heading out of town the weekend I was due. The hospital was booked for inductions, so I was trying *almost* everything to go into labor on my own before my Doctor left town.
He stripped my membranes a couple times, I walked over 4 miles in 100 degree heat. 
Nothing worked. 
As a last ditch effort,  I decided to make a spicy meal in hopes that the wives tale that "spicy food" would help you go into labor.
I scoured Pinterest and this recipe caught my eye.
It looked spicy & yummy, so I made it!
We had it for dinner 3 times that week. 
It never put me into labor, but the recipe was a keeper!
(My doctor was able to induce me the day before he left, you can read Luke's birth story here)

Whenever I make this meal it brings back memories of my final week of pregnancy with Luke.
You know that scent and taste trigger memories, right?

All that to say,  I am finally blogging this delicious recipe that I pinned many months ago!
I know you all wanted to hear the background story of this recipe, right? ;)
I've made it several times and tweaked it to make it just how I like it.
I am all about tweaking recipes, what about you?

Here is my version that I feel is tweaked/modified to perfection:
Here is what you need:
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2-3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (less if you want less kick)
2 tablespoons butter
3-4  green onions
2 cups of whipping cream (or 1/2 & 1/2)
1 jar of sun-dried tomatoes (julienne cut)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of minced garlic 
(I am a cheater & use the minced garlic in a jar, but use a fresh clove of garlic if you aren't lazy like me.)
Grated & Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Linguine (or your favorite pasta)

Directions:
Be brave & lay out your chicken breasts.
(I don't know about you but raw chicken totally grosses me out. *shudder*)
You can use 3 or 4. I only had 3 this time.
 Cut chicken breasts into cubes.
Place chicken in a gallon ziplock bag & add in the cajun seasoning. Shake that bag around to make sure the chicken is all nice & coated with seasoning.
 In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chicken in butter & your minced garlic until chicken is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. 
While the chicken is sauteing, chop up those green onions.
Once chicken is done cooking, reduce heat add green onion, tomatoes, basil, salt, & pepper.
(I slightly drain the sun dried tomatoes, it's okay if you don't drain them all)
Stir it all together.
Add the 2 cups of cream (or 1/2 & 1/2)
Give it a stir...
Then, I put a lid on the skillet and let it heat through while I boil my pasta noodles in a different pot.
Serve it over the cooked linguine and toss with Parmesan cheese.
It tastes even better served with a glass of wine. Every thing tastes better with a glass of wine :)
We love this meal. I also serve it with a salad and some fresh crusty French Bread.
Kevin said this meal tastes like it's from a restauraunt. 
Boom! That's what I'm talking about!
Add it to your meal plan, ASAP.
You won't be dissapointed.
Pinky promise.

*****************************************
And, don't forget to enter the $50 Kohl's Giftcard HERE!
Giveaway ends next Friday!

24 comments:

  1. MEL. YUMMMM. Seriously. I need to try this. And recipe tweaks are my favorite. Thanks for linking up and sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy!! I love a Cajun pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite things to eat out I have got to try this at home, especially now that I have a REAL kitchen to cook in! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful!! I have so many of your recipes that we love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that looks wonderful! I'm always looking for new ways to serve chicken. I want to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome (and quick...always a bonus)!

    I swear eating spicy things really helped me pop out our oldest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good. I'm pinning this and adding it to the menu. I would be making it today if I had seen this recipe before I went to the store!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making it this week :) It better be good, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! i like this recipe :)
    i love recipes that offer the actual instructions for cooking chicken (so many just say use cooked or shredded chicken, i want a play by play)
    and a cajun recipe without shrimp, i'm sold! :)

    this looks heavenly.
    so does that glass of wine. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really good. I am married to a Cajun man so I am sure he will love it. But my littles can't handle spicy. How would you rate the spiciness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tasha! I really like spicy things, so I am not a good judge of spiciness :) You could try just adding 1 TBSP of cajun (I add 2-3) then it won't be as spicy so that your kids will eat it. Kate doesn't like spicy, but Claire does, so this is too spicy for Kate.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! It is cooking now and it is spicy! I only added 2 teaspoons. I think it also depends on the brand of seasoning. I have true Cajun seasoning, Slap Ya Mama, and man oh man it is spicy. I should have known.
      Oh well, me and my husband will enjoy supper tonight anyway.....the boys can eat the noodles :)

      Delete
  11. This looks divine. A must try soon!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this tonight and it was fantastic! My whole family loved it which is a miracle. So easy and perfect. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds amazing, adding it to my menu this week, STAT!
    PS. Bottle of wine is chilling in the fridge as I type!
    Thanks for linking up, can't wait to give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 times in one week?! Wow, that is high praise! Pinning now and looking forward to making. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made this for supper last night for hubby and myself and we LOVED it!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made this for dinner tonight and out of our 3 kids, the baby is the one that chowed it down! I added a different kind of chicken spice that turned the dish into firey goodness (goodness for adults, not so much for the littles)! Next time, I'll use a LOT less (lol oops!) and then I'm sure it'll be gone in a heartbeat! Love this SUPER EASY recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is sooo great. Even my 78 yr old Grandmother at it and she does not like spicy food! We tried it and love it. We add baby bella mushrooms to it along with some chorizo sausage. It is great. Only thing is I am making it today and forgot the whipping cream...I'm gonna substitute with milk. I'm also gonna try it with turkey breast cutlets. I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks yummy! Thanks - we'll try it! I have a question about how/where you store your recipes in your weekly/monthly rotation. I'm finding I have 3x5 cards, sheets of paper, some in a Word Document, recipes saved on AllRecipes, recipes on Pinterest, etc. etc. and although I love the variety, I'm struggling with really wanting a single place to look for all the recipes I do over and over. What do you do?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin