We are 1 week into 2012, so I thought I would blog about my New Years Resolutions & Re-cap how I did in 2011.
Yes, I am "one of those" people who does New Years Resolutions.
I don't know why I do them because I FAIL at some of them every year.
But I will still continue to make resolutions & "attempt" to keep them.
Last year, I called my list 11 hopes for 2011.
Here is how I did:
1. Go to Bed Earlier.
Sigh. I have this resolution EVERY YEAR. And, every year, I pretty much fail.
I did *slightly* better this year, so I am giving myself a D instead of an F.
2. Continue Meal Planning each week.
I give myself an A- with this. I was really good about Meal Planning for the week on Sundays & having a plan of what our meals are for the week. As a working mom, meal planning has simplified my life so much!
3. Eat Breakfast.
I give myself a B+ for eating breakfast. I stock up on Luna bars & keep a few boxes in my classroom & every morning I have a Luna Bar for breakfast somewhere between 1st & 3rd period. Ha!
4. Read 1 book a month.
I read 10 books this year (rather than the 12 I had as a goal) so, I give myself a B- on this.
I love reading, but I don't make time for it. Boo!
5. Date night with Kevin once a month.
Yeah...that didn't happen. I give us a C- on date nights. We had a ton of weddings, but that doesn't count as "date" night
6. Figure out a good cleaning schedule.
Yeah....not so much. We clean our house on the weekends because we are both too tired to do it during the week. I still need to figure out a daily schedule so that I am not spending my weekends & Sunday nights cleaning my house. I give myself a C on the cleaning schedule.
7. Stay on top of Laundry.
FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.
8. Host an Official Neighborhood Party
We wanted to host a wine tasting night with our neighbors this year, but we never got a date on the calendar, so I am rolling this over to 2012. I did invite all our neighbors to Claire's Cowgirl Party & most came, but that wasn't an official court party. We also hosted a pizza/mexican train game night at our house which was fun, but I still want to do a wine tasting party! I give us a C+ on this.
9. Eat more Vegetables.
I give myself a B- on this. Because of our garden, I at WAY more veggies than I normally do!
10. Plant a Garden & Grow our own Vegetables.
Totally giving myself an A on this. Our garden was AWESOME this year, especially being first time gardeners. I was so proud of our garden & it will be hard to top it this year. We grew so much. For sure a highlight of the year!
11. Potty train Claire.
We did the 3 day method with Claire in February & it worked great! More like 4 days, but still great. She has been diaper free since February & pull up (at night) free since March! Woo-hoo! I give us an A for sure.
So now, onto my goals for 2012.
1. Read 1 book a month. This goal is on here yet again. I LOVE reading, I just haven't made the time to do it on a consistent basis. I already have 4 books waiting for me to read...The Hunger Games Series & The Help. I am going to start reading this weekend!
2. Go on a date with Kevin once a month, no kids. So that we can reconnect & spend time together without distractions! I want to be intentional with this every month!! Even if we don't "go out" we can have date nights at home after the girls are in bed.
3. Try not to hit snooze 5 times when my alarm goes off. (This one is for Kevin). I am a REALLY heavy sleeper. And, I don't like waking up in the morning. So, it hit snooze on my alarm. A lot. It is a big pet peeve of Kevin's, so I am REALLY going to try and work on this. Old habits are hard to break.....
4. I am going to Simplify. We have so much "stuff". I am going to clean out our clothes, the girls toys and our closets every 3-4 months and donate stuff we don't need to those who DO need it. Less is MORE!
5. Keep my car clean. Kevin just detailed the inside of my car & spent 3 hours cleaning it. It looks AMAZING. It is so nice having a clean car. I want to keep it like this. Wish me luck!
6. Drink more water. I have been known to just drink coffee, diet coke & wine for several days in a row....with NO water. So NOT healthy. I am already off to a good start this year drinking lots of water. Hope I can keep it up the WHOLE year.
7. Figure out a Laundry System. Seriously. I am THE worst at laundry. I don't like doing it, I don't like folding it, I don't like putting it away. This needs to change. I am sick of the laundry pile & have got to get it figured out. Any suggestions are welcome :)
8. Host a wine tasting party for our neighbors. I really wanted to do this last year, but we never got around to it, so I want to make it a priority this year! It needs to happen!
9. No more piles! I am Queen of piles. It drives Kevin crazy & drives me crazy also. In our bedroom, I like to "pile" my clothes on a dresser or chair. I have "piles" in closets. I have "piles" in the laundry room. Just say NO to piles!
10. Set boundaries. I am a people pleaser. It is SO hard for me to say "No" to things because I am such a people pleaser. But, I have been learning that it is okay to say No and it is good to have boundaries. I have been working on this the last few months & it has been so freeing. However, I still have a lot of work to do in this area.
Now, onto my word of 2012 that I want to focus on.
Nurture can be a verb or a noun:
1.to feed and protect: to nurture one's offspring.
2. to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development
3. to bring up; train; educate.
4. rearing, upbringing, training, education, or the like.
5. development: the nurture of young artists.
6. something that nourishes; nourishment; food.
I want to nurture my family, my friendships & myself.
Next week I am registering Claire for her Preschool (starting in the Fall) and in a few weeks I will be registering Kate for Kindergarten!!!! (Be still my heart). I feel like this is a crucial year for me to be nurturing my girls as they both head off to their respective schools in the Fall. I want them to know that they are loved, respected, smart, worthy & confident, especially as they walk into those schools.
This year Kevin and I will be celebrating 10 years of Marriage! But there are still areas of our marriage that need to be nurtured. I need to work harder about nurturing him (& listening to him). I want to be a better wife. I am pretty lucky & don't want to take him (or our marriage) for granted even though I do sometimes.
I want to nurture my friendships that I have had for years or even for a few months.
This past year, there were 2 friendships from various stages of my life that I felt had slipped for whatever reason (nothing bad, just grew apart) Those friendships were on my heart & I we were able to reconnect late 2011. It was SO good for my soul. I want to continue to nurture those relationships & other ones in 2012. I am so thankful for all the friendships/people that God has put in my life and want to make sure they stay solid.
My Relationship with God:
I don't know about you, but so often I put God on the back burner. I pray daily, but digging into HIS word, the Bible has become more of a chore for me. That is NOT OKAY. I need nurture my relationship with God and that not only includes prayer, but spending time in His Word. I need to become more disciplined in my time with HIM.
I need to nurture myself. This has to do with Goal #10 of setting boundaries.
I want to focus on things that nurture me & my family and cut out the things that don't. Like, junk food, wasted time, clutter, etc. I want to focus on the things that do nurture....drinking lots of water, being creative, reading. I want to nurture those around me who don't have what they need....handing out Blessing Bags to homeless & continued work with Project 320 & NILMDTS.
So, there you have it. My 2012 Goals & Word of the Year.
What about you?
Do you have any Resolutions or Goals or Words you will focusing on in 2012?