4.05.2012

Ressurection Rolls

I pinned these last Fall and I was excited to make them with the girls this Easter Season.
Usually, I make Empty Tomb Easter Cookies during Holy Week, but I thought I would make these this year instead.
They were a big hit!
(The Empty Tomb Easter Cookies are fun, but you don't eat them, so the Resurrection Rolls are more fun!)

Here is what you do:
Turn your oven to 350.
While your oven is preheating, read John 19

These are your ingredients that you need:
Crescent Rolls
8 large marshmallows
Melted Butter
Cinnamon Sugar
Roll out the crescent rolls (each container has 8)
Tell your kids that the crescent roll represents the cloth that Jesus was wrapped in.
Read Matthew 27:57-60
57 As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus. 58 Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. 59 Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.
Give each child a marshmallow. This represents Jesus.
Have them dip the marshmallow in butter.
This represents the oils of embalming.
Dip the buttered marshmallow in cinnamon sugar which represents the spices used to anoint the body.

Make sure it is nice & coated.
Then wrap the coated marshmallow tightly in the crescent roll.
Seal the marshmallow inside.
This represents the wrapping of Jesus' body after death.
Place the rolls on a baking sheet.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
The oven represents the tomb!
Let the rolls cool slightly. Then, the kids can open their rolls (the cloth) and discover that Jesus is no longer there.....HE IS RISEN!
The marshmallow melts & the crescent roll is puffed up, but empty.
Now read Matthew 28:5-8
5 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.” 8 So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples."

These were so fun to make with the girls & they are yummy!
They did each step, all I did was read the Bible verses & put them in the oven!
It was a great Easter Activity to do this week during Holy Week as we reflect & give thanks for what Jesus did for us!

It was a Pinterest Success, for sure!
We will now make these every year during the Easter Season.
Linking up with Jess:

14 comments:

  1. We have made the Ressurection Cookies before but not the rolls...maybe we will make these on Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT? You don't eat them??? Last year we TOTALLY ATE THEM!!!!!!

    uh oh

    I am happy to see this...going to send this link to my religious ed students! Can not wait to make and EAT these!!!

    we might make and eat the cookies too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww how sweet. i love the visual of this activity! might have to run to the store again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SUCH a great idea. I can't wait to try it out with Mason-- and we have everything in our kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love LOVE. a million times love. so doing this. like tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea. I'll have to save it to do with my daughter in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i tried these last year and the marshmellows did not disappear. what's up with that?! hmmmm. you may have inspired me to give it another try. happy easter!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am doing this today! can't wait. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your girls are precious! thank you for the sweet comment on my blog!!

    Those Resurrection rolls look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these rolls! Such a neat way to teach children about Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am visiting via TT&J. I absolutely adore this project! So clever. I had made vintage inspired resurrection eggs earlier this week. If you have a moment, please stop by my blog to see.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whooohoo! Gonna make these. I hate those Resurrection cookies, I can never get them to turn out right, LOL!

    Definitely making these Sunday morning. Thanks for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. We did these this morning. The kids loved it. My almost 8 yr old Katie said "I'm going to do these with my kids when I grow up". New tradition started. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't eat the COOKIES?? They're meringue cookies, and they are baked. We've been eating them every Easter for the past 10+ years.

    But, these new rolls look really great! We'll have to try these!

    But, yeah, don't let those good cookies, and the meaning behind them, go to waste! ;>

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin