5.26.2010

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding

Want an easy & yummy dessert recipe that is perfect for the summer months and that doesn't require using the oven?

Well, here you go! It is also a perfect recipe for kids to help with. Kate LOVES helping me cook, bake, etc. I have found that on days where I include her with cooking, she is in a much better mood. And, when she helps me make something, she is more inclined to eat it (she is a VERY picky eater).
I had this banana pudding a few years ago & I just had to have the recipe!

Turns out it is a Paula Deen recipe. I don't know about you, but I love Paula Deen.

In fact, it was exactly one year ago that Kevin & I were in the South trying to go to her restaurant!

Since it is a Paula Deen recipe, you know it tastes good, but it isn't good for you!

I tweaked this recipe slightly to try and make it have fewer calories. I mean, it's bathing suit season people!

Here is what you need for Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding:
- 2 packages of Pepperidge Farm Chessman Cookies
- 1 (5oz) package of instant vanilla pudding
- 1 container of Cool Whip, thawed (I used Cool Whip Lite)
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese, softened (I used less fat cream cheese)
- 1 can of Sweetened Condensed milk (the original recipe calls for the whole can, I only use half)
- 2 cups of milk (I used non-fat milk)
- 4-6 bananas, sliced (depending on how many bananas you like)

Step 1:
Layer 1 package of the cookies into a 9x13 pan
Step 2:
Slice your bananas
Step 3:
Layer the bananas on top of the cookies
(I had Kate do this for me)

Step 4:
In a bowl, mix the 2 cups of milk with the instant vanilla pudding. Mix until well blended.
Step 5:
In a new bowl, mix the cream cheese & sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Then, fold in the cool whip.
Step 6:
Add the pudding mixture to the cream cheese/cool whip mixture. Stir until well blended.
Step 7:
Pour the mixture over the cookies/bananas.
Step 8:
Have your helper spread the mixture evenly over the bananas.
Step 9:
Layer the 2nd package of cookies on top.
Sneak a lick of the mixture when you think no one is looking.
All layered up & ready to go in the fridge!
Step 10:
Put the dish in the fridge for 4-6 hours
Step 11:
Eat & Enjoy!
Both girls loved this dessert...it has bananas & low fat ingredients, so that makes it "healthier" right?
Claire kept saying, "More, More"
You will lick your plate (or your fingers) clean!
I may or may not have had a big serving of this last night while watching the season finale of The Biggest Loser. And, I didn't feel guilty at all...not one bit!

24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. I'll have to make it soon, my husband loves banana pudding but I hate making
    it. So time consuming. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy. i am going to have to try this one. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis is my all time favorite summertime dessert! Unfortunately, my husband hates bananas so it limits when I get to make it and eat it! Thanks for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo going to try that... but I wonder if I could substitute TJ's graham crackers for the cookies? I have the stuff at home, so I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! I might not have made this if I saw it in a PD cookbook, but you two make it look like fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm adding all those ingredients to my shopping list cause that looks d.lish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear Mel, why must you post things like this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Banana pudding is one of my favorite things. I just might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, that looks yummy! Definitely need to try that one :) I love Paula!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yum i love that you put cookies on top to give some crunch. this is a perfect summer get together dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!!!!!!!!!! I love love love banana pudding! Can't wait to try this recipe!!!

    Don't you just love baking with your little ones?! :) And I totally agree...Emma is always in a better mood when we bake together too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Banana pudding is one of my *faves*. This looks delish.

    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious and fun! A quick photography question, do you shoot all your pictures in manual? You are very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That reminds me, I LOVE banana pudding and need to make some!!!! Your girls are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks fantastic, I'll have to try it! You know if it is one of Paula's, it is definitely good (though not good for you!). She has a recipe for - I kid you not - "Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding." I believe she is quoted as saying that it is a once in a lifetime dish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. girl, i LOVE paula dean. matt and i literally watched her entire two hour thanksgiving special last year : ) i also am a major fan of barefoot. i will try this recipe soon! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh that looks soooo good!! too bad im on a diet right now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made this, DELISH!! Thanks for posting.

    I am linking it on my blog today and I wanted to let you know the Search bar does not work for me on Firefox or IE.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This version looks SOOOOO good! Can't wait to try it! (Isn't is crazy that you posted that exactly a year ago? Crazy coincidence!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum- this sounds so good and your little helpers are too cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin