10.18.2018

Taco Cornbread Casserole

Growing up, we had some sort of casserole for dinner each week.
I think the word casserole gets a bad rap sometimes because in the 80's & 90's many casseroles were filled with "cream of soups" and cheese. Lots of cheese.
But, casseroles CAN be healthy! And good for you!
Whenever I see a casserole recipe, I try and "healthy" it up and add fresh ingredients to it and also as a garnish.
The beauty of casseroles is that you can make them ahead of time.
Here is a casserole that is a family favorite!
Here is what you need:
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1 packet of Taco seasoning (I use the less sodium one)
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
-1 can of corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of your favorite Salsa (I use fresh salsa from the refrigerated section)
- Shredded Cheese
- 1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix (plus the ingredients needed to for the mix which is 1/3 cup milk and 1 egg)

Directions:
In a skillet, cook the ground turkey with the packet of taco seasoning and 1 cup of diced onions.
Note: You are NOT adding water to the taco seasoning mix.
When the ground turkey, onion & taco seasoning is done cooking, add 1 cup of salsa, drained black beans & drained corn to the mixture.
Simmer for 5 minutes so all the flavors combine.
While the mixture is simmering, mix the Jiffy Corn bread mix per the package directions (you will need to add 1 egg & 1/3 cup of milk) Spread the cornbread mixture in an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
 I spray the pan with Pam before I add the cornbread mixture.
DO NOT COOK THE CORNBREAD YET. Add the mixture to the uncooked cornbread:
Cover with foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Take off the foil and cover the top with shredded cheese:
Bake (uncovered) for 10 minutes (or until cheese is all melted)
Let cool for a few minutes & then you are ready to serve it!
We love garnishing it with avocado & cilantro on top.
I also like to add sour cream & more fresh salsa.
The cornbread on the bottom adds so much flavor! YUM.
I hope you like this as much as our family does. 
This is a meal that ALL 5 of us will eat, even my 2 picky eaters!
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I will be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! Definitely adding it to my list for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I'm a big fan of casseroles because they reduce the number of dishes I have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin