3.07.2010

Africa on my mind

Ever since I was a part of Project 320 , Africa has been on my mind & in my prayers a lot in the past few months.
I would love to go to Africa to the villages where our 2 wells are going to be built.
I just can't get it out of my mind, especially because the past week, one of my best friends from college, LV is on a mission trip in Kenya with Compassion International.

(LV & I in college, circa 2000)

Here is LV with the girls when he came to visit us last January:

LV works for Catalyst and he was invited to join a group of bloggers from Compassion International and they have been blogging about their time in Kenya. They are visiting different villages in Kenya that Compassion supports. Over the weekend, LV was able to meet the boy that he sponsors. What an amazing opportunity. Go read his blog, it is a tear jerker!

Compassion Bloggers: Kenya 2010

Compassion is an wonderful organization, Kevin started sponsoring a little boy named Joao from Guatemala in 1999. Last year, after sponsoring him for 11 years, we got a letter from Compassion saying that Joao had excited the Compassion program & was now working to help support is family.
Here is Joao:
We decided to sponsor a new Compassion kid, and we picked a little girl named Sarah who lives in Uganda. We are the first people to sponsor Sarah & I hope we are able to sponsor her until she is 18 years old.
Here is Sarah:
Because Uganda is right next to Kenya, I have imagine that Sarah's conditions are similar to what I have been reading about on LV's blog and the blogs of the other Compassion bloggers.
It just breaks my heart. But, it is amazing to see what Compassion does for the kids we sponsor.
For just $38 a month, this is what your sponsored kid receives:
  • Food and clean water
  • Medical care
  • Educational opportunities
  • Important life-skills training
  • Most important of all, your sponsored child will hear about Jesus Christ and be encouraged to develop a lifelong relationship with God.
Kevin and I would love to go on a mission trip to Africa or a 3rd world country one day. It is on my bucket list of things I want to do. It is scary to think about it & even scarier praying about it, but I hope one day God will give us the opportunity to go & see the world through a different perspective.

Sponsor a child online through Compassion's Christian child sponsorship ministry. Search for a child by age, gender, country, birthday, special needs and more.

To read more about the Compassion Bloggers trip, you can click on LV's blog, Mckmama's blog or Shaun Groves blog or click here for list of all the Compassion Bloggers.

You will not be the same after reading their stories & seeing their pictures of what they are experiencing in Africa.

8 comments:

  1. Mel...I am so lucky to know you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I share some of your feelings too. We sponsor a little boy through World Vision from South Africa and I would LOVE to meet him someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sponsored a little girl from Ethiopia when I was growing up. I still wonder about her & pray for her. I just got lost for over an hour on the Compassion Kenya blogs. Thanks for linking them. It is an amazing thing that Compassion does for kids in 3rd world countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing. I can't stop reading LV's blog. Awe inspiring. Makes me want to do more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go there too. Maybe when our kids get older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post,Mel! To bring Compassion to people's attention. I agree, what a fabulous, God centered organization. We have been sponsoring Patrick in Rawanda since 2000. He is just about the age to "graduate" as well. Hard to believe. It is so good to step away from our Starbucks and really see what is going on and be a part of God's plan. FAB post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know when you want to go. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. isn't it amazing the life-changing difference a well makes? it's just incredible, and we in america have the power to build so many more of them, we just don't understand how much we could do.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin